Mr Ben Bolland completed his undergraduate training at St Mary’s Hospital, London. He undertook his orthopaedic training in the Wessex region where he developed his specific interest in lower limb and revision arthroplasty, trauma and related research. He completed a Masters degree in the field of Impaction Bone Grafting from which he was awarded multiple prizes and publications. He consolidated his interest and experience in revision lower limb arthroplasty via two fellowships in Exeter (Prof Ling Hip Fellow) and Bournemouth (specialist fellowship in trabecular metal reconstructions). From these he has gained experience in:
- Primary and complex hip and knee arthroplasty including following pathologies: dysplasia, protrusio, osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis), and inflammatory arthropathies
- Revision hip and knee surgery techniques including acetabular reconstruction (impaction bone grafting, trabecular metal reconstruction)
- Management of hip and knee periprosthetic fractures, the infected joint replacement and the unstable joint replacement.
Mr Bolland performs the following at Nufffield Health Taunton Hospital:
Mr Bolland is married with three young children. He is keen on all outdoor pursuits particularly cycling, swimming, sailing and walking. With a young family he greatly enjoys encouraging his children with these and many of their other interests.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Benjamin Bolland at Nuffield Health
- Hip replacement surgery
- Hip revision
- Knee arthroscopy surgery
- Knee replacement surgery
- Knee surgery (ACL repair)
- Knee replacement revision
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
Mr Bolland completed a Masters degree during his surgical training in Impaction Bone Grafting, resulting in six peer group publications, over 20 presentations at international meetings and 10 prizes for his work. As part of the thesis he described a novel technique with the design of a new instrumentation to impact bone graft, which won “Best Surgical Technology” in a national innovations competition.
He was awarded the first ever Joint Travelling fellowship by the British and American Orthopaedic Research Societies and elected into the Executive committee in July 2009.
Prior to moving to Taunton, Mr Bolland launched a retrieval and research team to investigate the causes of failure in hip and knee replacements, focusing primarily on metal on metal articulations. Over the last year he has coordinated research studies on the analysis of retrieval specimens from metal on metal hips.
- Medical Defence Union
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Hip Society
- British Orthopaedic Research Society
Other post held
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Nuffield Health Taunton Hospital
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
Insurers Mr Benjamin Bolland works with
Mr Benjamin Bolland works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Benjamin Bolland does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Benjamin Bolland does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Benjamin Bolland does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.