Mr Benedict Blake-James is a Consultant Urological Surgeon at York Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust where he practices with a special interest in prostate disease and urological oncology (cancer) diagnosis and treatment. Surgical specialisation includes laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery.
Mr Blake-James qualified MBBS at the Royal Free Medical School in 1995. He completed specialist training in London which led to the award of FRCS(Urol) in 2011 (Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons).
He has extensive experience in a broad variety of urological conditions gained in leading UK hospitals and has also performed a fellowship in cancer and trauma reconstruction at The Alfred Hospital in Australia.
He undertook a research degree at The Institute of Urology in London investigating prostate function.
Mr Blake-James performs the following treatments at Nuffield Health York Hospital
- Prostate disease including prostate cancer and BPH
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Bladder disorders including cancer
- Kidney disorders including cancer
- Impotency and infertility
- Vasectomy (including reversal)
- Testicular and scrotal disorders
Ben lives with his wife, Nina, and four children in Pocklington.
His young family, house renovation and gardening take up most of his time, but he still dreams of getting the chance to go skiing, sailing and climbing.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Benedict Blake-James at Nuffield Health
- Penile lesions (biopsy of)
- Prostate resection surgery (TURP)
- Prostate surgery
- Transurethral resection of bladder tumour (TURBT)
- Vasectomy surgery
- Vasectomy reversal surgery
- SpaceOAR® Hydrogel
Research work from 2003-2007 led to the award of a research doctorate, MD(Res), from University College London in 2013.
His work investigated the control and function of the prostate, which has helped develop treatment strategies for men with urinary symptoms.
He is currently involved establishing and recruiting to clinical trials in urological cancer management at York Hospital.
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- European Association of Urology
- Royal Society of Medicine
Other post held
- York Teaching Hospital NHS Trust
Mr Benedict Blake-James does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Benedict Blake-James does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Benedict Blake-James does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.