Mr Waterson is a Consultant knee surgeon at the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital and a Clinical Lecturer with the University of Exeter. He specialises in total and uni-compartmental knee replacements as well as revision knee replacement surgery.
He graduated with an MBChB from Edinburgh University in 2005 and undertook his specialist training in orthopaedic surgery in Edinburgh. On completion of his training he was awarded a one year fellowship at the world renowned adult lower limb reconstruction centre at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. In Canada he trained intensively and conducted research in modern and cutting edge techniques in knee and joint replacement surgery.
Mr Waterson has authored numerous research, review articles and book chapters and has lectured throughout the UK and Europe. He was awarded a Medical Doctorate (MD) from Edinburgh University in 2018 for his research in the field of knee surgery and the impact of alignment on total knee replacements.
He is a member of the British Orthopaedic Association and British Association for Surgery of the Knee.
- Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Uni-compartmental Knee Arthroplasty
- Knee Arthroscopy
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Ben Waterson at Nuffield Health
- Knee replacement revision
- Knee replacement
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
- Trauma Surgery
- Bone Graft
Recent Journal Publications
- Waterson HB, Greidanus NV, Garbuz DS, Masri BA, Duncan CP. Revision for adverse reaction to Metal Debris Following Metal-on-Polyethylene Total Hip Arthroplasty is Associated with a High Risk of Early Major Complications. Bone Joint J. 2018 Jun 1;100-B (6): 720-724. doi: 10.1302/0301-620X.100B6.BJJ-2017-1466
- Woon JTK, Zeng I, Calliess T, Windhagen H, Ettinger M, Waterson HB, Toms AD, Young SW. Outcome of Kinematic versus Mechanical Alignment in TKA using Patient-Specific Instrumentation: A Meta-analysis and Subgroup Analysis of Randomised Trials. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2018 Sep;138(9):1293-1303. doi: 10.1007/s00402-018-2988-8. Epub 2018 Jun 30. 7
- Assessment of Function After Total Knee Replacement-A Truly Representative Analysis: The Exeter Functional Outcome Tool. Hourigan P, Chisling de Burgh D, Waterson HB, Stroud R, Phillips JR, Toms AD. THE KNEE 2018 134.
- Beattie N, Maempel JF, Roberts SB, Waterson HB, Brown G, Brenkel I, Walmsley P. Supervised registrar performed surgery does not adversely affect medium-term functional outcome after Total Knee Replacement. Annals of The Royal College of Surgeons of England. Sept 2017.
- Waterson HB, Clement ND, Eyres KS, Mandalia VI, Toms AD. The early outcome of kinematic versus mechanical alignment in total knee arthroplasty: a prospective randomised control trial. Bone Joint J. 2016 Oct;98-B(10):1360-1368.
- Waterson HB, Philips JRA, Mandalia VI, Toms AD. ‘Thou shalt not varus’. Is this statement still applicable in Total Knee Arthroplasty? Bone & Joint 360. Volume 3. Issue 3. June 2014.
- Philips JRA, Waterson HB, Searle DJ, Mandalia VI, Toms AD. Registry review. Bone & Joint 360. Volume 3. Issue 3. June 2014.
Book Chapter Publications
Waterson HB, Barnett A, Toms AD. Peri-prosthetic fractures following total knee arthroplasty. In M. Hirschmann, ed 2015. The unhappy total knee replacement - a comprehensive review and management guide. Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
Barnett AJ, Waterson HB, Toms AD. A diagnostic algorithm for patients with painful TKA. In M. Hirschmann, ed 2015. The unhappy total knee replacement - a comprehensive review and management guide. Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
Waterson HB. Back Pain. In A. Japp, ed 2012. Macleod’s Clinical Diagnosis. 1st Edition. Churchill Livingstone.
Waterson HB. The Swollen Joint. In A. Japp, ed 2012. Macleod’s Clinical Diagnosis. 1st Edition. Churchill Livingstone.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Orthopaedics Association
- British Association for surgery of the Knee
- Medical Protection Society
Other post held
- Consultant at the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital
- Clinical Lecturer at the University of Exeter
Insurers Mr Ben Waterson works with
Mr Ben Waterson works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa Global
- Bupa On Demand
- Healix Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Ben Waterson does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Ben Waterson does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Ben Waterson does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.
Free events with Mr Ben Waterson
Tuesday 26 October 2021
Mr Ben Waterson Mr Jonathan R. A. Phillips
This free virtual event at Nuffield Health Exeter Hospital is for anyone who is interested in finding out more information about knee pain, osteoarthritis and robotic surgery.Book your place now