Mr Antonios Athanasiou is an experienced Consultant Upper GI and General Surgeon at Nuffield Health Brighton Hospital & Nuffield Health Haywards Heath Hospital, and the University Hospital Sussex NHS Foundation Trust. He specializes in minimally invasive keyhole surgery techniques including laparoscopic surgery for gallbladder disease, inguinal hernia, acid reflux, weight loss and gastrointestinal conditions. He also assists with diagnosis and treatment using Upper GI endoscopy.
Mr Athanasiou began his training in general surgery in 2006. During his training, he completed three fellowships in Cork, Ireland, Birmingham, and Leeds. His fellowships were in bariatric and esophagogastric surgery, where he was trained under the tutorage of leading surgeons. He has therefore achieved extensive experience in upper gastrointestinal and bariatric surgery, offering all types of minimally invasive treatments.
Mr Athanasiou is an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Brighton Medical School. He gained his PhD while he was training. He has been widely published in a great number of field-related, peer-reviewed journals. He has continually been active in research, teaching, and training, with numerous publications and participation in educational courses.
Mr Athanasiou is a certified robotic surgeon, performing regular robotic operations at the Princess Royal Hospital located in Haywards Heath.
- All abdominal wall hernias
- Gallbladder removal
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Anti-reflux surgery
- Achalasia and oesophagael dysmotility disorders
- Weight loss surgery
- Gastric cancer
- Oesophagael cancer
- Lumps and Bumps
- Skin Lesions
Upper gastrointestinal oncology, obesity surgery,
gastro-oesophageal reflux, advanced laparoscopic surgery and upper
Mr Antonios Athanasiou enjoys rock concerts, watching football,
playing chess and a glass of fine wine.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Antonios Athanasiou at Nuffield Health
- Open surgery groin hernia repair
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Laparoscopic incisional hernia repair
- Reflux surgery (fundoplication)
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder removal)
- Laparoscopic groin hernia repair
- Colorectal surgery
- Laparoscopic reflux surgery (fundoplication)
- Abdominal adhesion surgery
- Soft tissue lump service
- Excisional biopsy
- Umbilical hernia repair
- Hernia repair
- Excision of skin lesion
- Biliary and renal drainage
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Bilateral (inguinal) hernia repair
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Hernia unilateral
- Trauma Surgery
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Bile duct resection
Whilst he was training, Mr Athanasiou gained his PhD in liver regeneration which has been published widely. His research interests have included minimally invasive surgical techniques, improvement of patient care through innovation and the metabolic implications of obesity. He has been widely published in numerous field-related, peer-reviewed journals.
- Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS Eng)
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons (AUGIS)
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS)
- The British Hernia Society
- Member of the European Association for Cancer Research
Other posts held
- Consultant Oesophagogastric, General and Minimally Invasive Surgeon - University Hospitals Sussex NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Antonios Athanasiou works with
Mr Antonios Athanasiou works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- AXA - Global Healthcare
- Bupa On Demand
- The Exeter Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Antonios Athanasiou does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Antonios Athanasiou does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Antonios Athanasiou does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.