- Specialities Urology, Urodynamics, Uro-oncology, Men's Health
- Telephone 01273 627007 (Brighton enquiries) / 01444 456 999 Ext 338 (Haywards Heath)
- Year of first qualification 1999
- Email email@example.com / HaywardsHeath.firstname.lastname@example.org
- GMC Number 4650124
- Website http://www.brightonandsussexurology.co.uk
- Fax 01273 627050 (Brighton) / 01444 476 778 (Haywards Heath)
Mr Symes received his MB BS from the University of London (Guys & St Thomas’s Medical Schools) in 1999, and trained in the highly regarded Urology departments of University College London Hospital, the Royal Marsden Hospital and St Georges Hospital London.
He spent 2004 - 2006 at University College London investigating gene expression in prostate cancer. As a result of this work he was awarded a Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree from University College London.
In 1991 he became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (Urology) and was awarded the Keith Yates gold medal for outstanding performance in these specialist exams.
Pursuing his interest in urinary tract stone disease and endourology, Mr Symes spent a year in the highly regarded stone unit at St Georges, where he became accomplished in all aspects of stone management. His expertise includes extra corporeal lithotripsy, percutaneous renal surgery and ureterorenoscopy. He also has a keen interest in minimally invasive treatment of benign prostatic enlargement
Today Mr Symes is a Consultant Urological Surgeon at Brighton & Sussex University Hospital NHS Trust, with a special interest in stone disease. He is the clinical stone lead and has been responsible for establishing the only fixed site lithotripter in Sussex.
Mr Symes Specialises in the following treatments at Nuffield Health Brighton Hospital:
- Stone disease
- Vasectomy reversal
- Weekly Friday AM
- Consultant Urological Surgeon, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Urinary tract stone disease
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy
- Lithotripsy (ESWL)
- Rigid and flexible Ureterorenoscopy and Holmium laser
Outside of medicine Mr Symes is a keen, but ‘amateur’, golfer and cricketer. He also skis regularly, although with a young family these hobbies are somewhat on the back foot currently!
- British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS)
- BAUS Section of Endourology
- Royal College of Surgeons
- Old Etonian Medical Association
Mr Symes completed a higher degree (MD) at UCL, investigating gene and protein expression in normal human prostates. This work has led to the discovery of potential novel biomarkers of prostate cancer, and he has continuing research interests in this field.
He is actively engaged in research and his current interests include shockwave therapy for chronic pelvic pain and improving lithotripsy outcomes.
DeclarationMr Andrew Symes works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
Mr Andrew Symes does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Andrew Symes does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Andrew Symes does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.