Mr Barnett undertook his basic and specialist training in Bristol. This included a significant amount of time spent doing clinical and research work at Avon Orthopaedic Centre, a national centre of clinical excellence. He completed his training with eighteen months of specialist fellowship training in Oxford, Sydney and Exeter.
Mr Barnett has a particular interest in arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery, knee ligament reconstruction and day case partial knee replacement. Having spent twelve months training under Mr Jonathan Eldridge, an expert in patellofemoral (kneecap) instability, he too has developed expertise in this field and is one of only a handful of surgeons who perform Trochleoplasty on a regular basis.
Mr Barnett is trained in the latest techniques of partial knee replacement, patient-specific knee replacements and ligament reconstruction. He furthered his interest in sports injuries during a six month fellowship at the world-renowned North Sydney Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Centre in Australia. The unit treats national and international sportsmen from all over Australia.
Mr Barnett teaches nationally and internationally on arthroscopy courses.
- Arthroscopic surgery
- Knee ligament reconstruction
- Multi-ligament reconstruction
- Partial and total knee replacement
- Patellofemoral instability
- Patellofemoral replacement
- Meniscal repair
- Medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction
- Tibial tubercle osteotomy
- High tibial osteotomy
- Distal femoral osteotomy
- Hamstring repair
Mr Barnett is a very keen sportsman and has played rugby at representative level. He spends his relaxation time cycling, running, doing triathlon, playing cricket and skiing whenever he can. His wife Emma is a teacher and they have 3 young children who take up most of their spare time.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Andrew Barnett at Nuffield Health
- Knee surgery (ACL repair)
- Knee replacement
- Knee arthroscopy
- Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation
- PCL reconstruction
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
Mr Barnett has published and presented extensively in the field of lower limb reconstruction. Research areas of particular interest include patellofemoral instability and sports surgery.
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons
Other posts held
- Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt NHS Foundation Trust, Oswestry
- The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
- European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy
- British Patellofemoral Society – Committee member
Insurers Mr Andrew Barnett works with
Mr Andrew Barnett works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Exeter Family Friendly
Mr Andrew Barnett does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Andrew Barnett does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Andrew Barnett does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.