Mr Dodds is a specialist knee and hip surgeon, appointed as a consultant in January 2015. He completed his specialist training in London in 2013, gaining extensive trauma experience working in St Mary’s Major Trauma Centre. His advanced training included a UK fellowship where he was involved in knee operations on premiership football and rugby players, and a year in Australia focused on hip and knee primary and revision surgery, soft knee tissue surgery including arthroscopy, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction and patello-femoral surgery. Alex has worked as the sports doctor to North Wales Rugby providing pitch side care and managing high impact sports injuries.
Alex is a world expert on the anterolateral structures of the knee and his work is regularly referenced at international conferences. In 2018 he was awarded a Doctorate of Medicine Degree (MD Res) from Imperial College on ‘The anterolateral structures of the knee and the pivot shift’. This is often injured at the same time as the ACL and such detailed anatomical knowledge of the joint helps Alex to identify the best possible surgery to aid recovery.
In 2016 he was voted on to the national BASK council. He is orthopaedic infection governance lead at Gloucestershire Hospitals.
Mr Dodds has a specialist interest in arthroplasty and sports injuries of the knee. This includes arthroscopic (key-hole) surgery for cartilage lesions including microfracture, menisectomy and meniscal repair and ligament reconstruction including anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (hamstring, patellar tendon, quadriceps tendon), posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction and multi ligament reconstruction including medial collateral ligament and posterolateral corner.
He regularly performs arthroplasty (joint replacement surgery) including partial knee replacement, total knee replacement and revision knee replacement. He also performs a high volume of primary total hip replacements. He performs other non arthroplasty knee surgery including knee osteotomy and surgery for patellofemoral disorders. He has an interest in sports surgery including decompression for exertional compartment syndrome.
Mr Dodds lives in Cheltenham with his wife and their three young children who keep him busy as taxi driver and side line supporter. He enjoys following the mixed fortunes of Cardiff City FC and the Gloucester and Welsh Rugby team
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Alexander Dodds at Nuffield Health
- Knee surgery (ACL repair)
- Knee replacement
- Knee arthroscopy
- Hip replacement
- Dodds AL, Halewood C, Gupte CM, Williams AM, Amis AA. The anterolateral ligament: Anatomy, length changes and association with the Segond fracture. Bone and Joint Journal 2014; 96B: 325- 3
- Stephen JM, Dodds AL, Lumpapopong P, Kader D, Williams A, Amis AA. The ability of medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction to correct patellar kinematics and contact mechanism in the presence of a lateralized tibial tubercle. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 2015; 43: 2198- 207
- Dodds AL, Narvani A, Williams AM. Multiple ligament injuries of the knee. Orthopaedics and Trauma 2013; 27: 106-112
- Stephen JM, Lumpaopong P, Dodds AL, Williams A, Amis AA. The effect of tibial tuberosity medicalization and lateralization on patellofemoral joint kinematics, contact mechanics and stability. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 20145; 43: 186- 94
- Dodds AL, Bauze AJ, Keene GC. Revision surgery for failed anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Orthopaedics and Trauma 2014; 28: 116-122
- Al-Hadithy N, Dodds AL, Akhtar KSN, Gupte CM. Current concepts of the management of anterior cruciate ligament injuries in children. Bone and Joint Journal 2013; 95B: 1562-9
- Dodds AL, Keene GC. Controlled eversion of the patella during Total Knee Replacement. Ann R Coll Surg Eng 2015; 97: 320
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
Other post held
- Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon
Insurers Mr Alexander Dodds works with
Mr Alexander Dodds works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Alexander Dodds does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Alexander Dodds does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Alexander Dodds does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.