Mr Alastair Mace
MB ChB, MD, FRCS (ORL-HNS)
GMC number: 4330860
Practicing since: 1996
- Friday (afternoon and evening)
- Wednesday by arrangement
Or call us on
Mr Mace is a Consultant Ear Nose and Throat Surgeon. He looks after children and adults and has a subspecialist interest in otology – a specialist in the study of conditions of the ear, hearing and balance.
He trained in the West of Scotland, with super-specialist training in Australia. He was awarded a Doctorate in Medicine in 2008 following a 2-year Gene Therapy Research Fellowship in Head and Neck Cancer. In 2010 he was awarded the Royal Society of Medicine Otology Training Scholarship and became the Otology and Skull Base Surgery Fellow with Prof. Fagan's team at St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney.
Mr Mace looks after NHS and private patients with a wide range of ENT (Ear Nose and Throat Surgery) conditions and has a special interest in ear and hearing-related pathology in children and adults. He is the lead clinician in the York Balance Centre. He also has a medico-legal practice, with special interests in Noise Induced Hearing Loss and Personal Injury.
Mr Mace teaches and trains medical students and trainee ear nose and throat surgeons and is a tutor on a number of National ENT courses.
- Otology (Ear disorders including perforated ear drums; cholesteatoma, hearing loss, tinnitus and discharging ears)
- Ossicloplasty surgery to improve hearing
- Bone Anchored Hearing Aid (BAHA) surgery
- Stapedectomy surgery for otosclerosis
- Dizziness (vertigo and balance problems including Meniere's Disease)
- Rhinology (nasal disorders including acute or chronic rhinitis and sinusitis, blocked nose, deviated septum, nasal polyps)
- Sinus operations (endoscopic sinus surgery/ FESS)
- Skin lesions
- Paediatric ENT (tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, grommets for glue ear, cautery for nosebleeds/ epistaxis);
- Laryngology (including swallowing problems, throat pain, laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR)
- Voice disorders (including vocal cord polyps/ nodules)
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Alastair Mace at Nuffield Health
- Deviated septum (Septoplasty)
- Functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS)
- Ear drum repair (Myringoplasty)
- Antral washout
- Rhinoplasty (or nose reshaping)
- Endoscopic sinus surgery
- Mastoid surgery
- Otoplasty (ear correction / ear repositioning)
- Grommet insertion
- Middle ear surgery
Locations Mr Alastair Mace works with
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Otology Society
- British Rhinology Society
- Scottish Otolaryngology Society
Other posts held
- Consultant ENT Surgeon - York Teaching Hospital
- Honorary Consultant ENT Surgeon - Harrogate District Hospital
Insurers Mr Alastair Mace works with
Mr Alastair Mace works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
Mr Alastair Mace does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Alastair Mace does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Alastair Mace does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.