Al-Amin Kassam studied medicine at Guys, Kings and St Thomas’ School of Medicine, and qualified in 2005. He undertook his basic surgical training in at Guys and St Thomas’, Cambridge and Exeter.
Al-Amin undertook his higher surgical training in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery in the South West Peninsula region and has worked in Exeter, Plymouth and Torbay. He was awarded his Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons in 2016. He undertook the prestigious complex and revision hip and knee fellowship at the world renowned Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in Oxford with a special interest in bone and joint infections. He returned to Exeter to become a Ling fellow within the Exeter hip unit before being appointed as a Consultant in Exeter in 2018. He specialises in complex primary and revision hip arthroplasty.
Al-Amin has a special interest in medical leadership and was awarded a place on the British Orthopaedic Association (BOA) Clinical Leaders Programme and has also achieved a Level 7 certificate in Leadership and Management, awarded by the Chartered Management Institute.
Al-Amin is a keen cricketer and plays for his local village team is also
a season ticket holder at the Exeter Chiefs.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Al-Amin Kassam at Nuffield Health
- Hip replacement surgery
- Hip revision
Al-Amin is actively involved in research with ongoing current projects working within the Exeter Hip unit. He is currently help lead research on use of the MAKO Robotic hip replacement and also improvement in patient reported outcome measures.
His past publications include:
- Open pelvic fractures: a review. AM Kassam, SA Adams, MR Williams. Orthopaedics and Trauma. 2018; 32(2): 91-95
- The Exeter Trauma Stem: A clinical and radiological follow up at a minimum of 5 years. AM Kassam, L Tillotson, SJ Whitehouse, J Charity. Injury. 2017; 48: 2773-2777.
- Morphine use is reduced using a fascia iliaca block in hip fractures. AM Kassam, AT Gough, J Davies, R Yarlagadda. Journal of Geriatric Nursing. 2017 Aug: Epub ahead of print.
- Anatomical ACL Reconstruction: the technique of use of the Anterior horn of the lateral meniscus as a guide to tibial tunnel placement. AM Kassam, PJ Schranz, VI Mandalia. Arthroscopy techniques. 2016 Aug; 5(4):809-814.
- Historical Implant or Current Best Standard? Minimum five year follow up outcomes of cemented Thompson hemiarthroplasties. AM Kassam, S Griffiths, G Higgins. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2014 Sep;29(9):1745-8.
- National Joint Registry data inaccuracy: a threat to proper reporting. JD Kosy, AM Kassam, M Hockings. British Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2013; 74(12): 644-646.
- Displaced femoral neck stress fractures in Royal Marine recruits - management and results of operative treatment. JT Evans, PM Guyver, AM Kassam, MJ Hubble. Journal of the Royal Naval Medical Service. 2012; 98(2): 3-5.
- An analysis of time and money spent on investigating painful Total Knee Replacements. AM Kassam, P Dieppe, AD Toms. British Journal of Medical Practitioners. 2012; 5(3): 526-529.
- Advanced Visual Cues and their use in saving penalty kicks in football. BSc dissertation – extracts published in The Independent, The Times and The Metro. Also, presented on Radio (BBC World Service and various local BBC stations) and television (ITV news).
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Hip Society
- Orthopaedic Trauma Society
Other post held
- Consultant Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon at: Exeter Hip Unit
- Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre
- Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital - NHS Foundation post
Insurers Mr Al-Amin Kassam works with
Mr Al-Amin Kassam works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Al-Amin Kassam does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Al-Amin Kassam does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Al-Amin Kassam does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.