Mr Ahmed Elshaer
MBcHB, M.Sc, PhD, FRCS (Eng)
GMC number: 7551070
Practicing since: 2009
- Thursdays 14:00-17:00
Or call us on
Mr Ahmed Elshaer is an experienced Upper GI and General Surgeon Consultant at Nuffield Health Brighton Hospital. He is Upper GI Consultant Surgeon at University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust. He specializes in Oesophagogastric and Bariatric surgery. He performs all range of minimally invasive keyhole surgery including gallbladder surgery, biliary surgery, hernias, acid reflux surgery, weight loss surgery and oesophagogastric cancer surgery. He also performs Upper GI endoscopy for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.
Mr Elshaer began his training in general surgery in 2010. During his training, he completed two fellowships in Birmingham and Hull. He had extensive training in Oesophagogastric cancer and bariatric surgery. He had performed numerous numbers of minimally invasive surgeries in Upper GI Surgery. He had also wide exposure in other subspecialities as hepatobiliary surgery and liver transplantation. Mr Elshaer worked also as Upper GI consultant surgeon in Leeds and Gloucester before moving to Brighton.
Mr Elshaer gained his PhD during his training. He is also a lecturer at Cairo University in Egypt. He published many researches in peer-reviewed journals. He is participating in numerous educational courses and believes in the importance of training and teaching to junior doctors. He is a recognised trainer by GMC and is a faculty at the Royal College of Surgeons of England in many courses.
- Laparoscopic surgery for gastrointestinal diseases
- Gallbladder surgery
- All abdominal and groin hernias
- Anti-reflux surgery
- Diaphragmatic and Hiatus hernias
- Achalasia and oesophageal motility disorders
- Upper GI Endoscopy
- Gastric cancer
- Oesophageal cancer
- Biliary and pancreatic diseases
- Splenic surgery
- Trauma and acute emergency surgery
- Lumps and Bumps
- Weight loss surgery (Bariatric Surgery)
- Robotic surgery
Football, Tennis and swimming.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Ahmed Elshaer at Nuffield Health
- Excisional biopsy
- Laparoscopic reflux surgery (fundoplication)
- Umbilical hernia repair
- Laparoscopic incisional hernia repair
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Bilateral (inguinal) hernia repair
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Trauma Surgery
- Hernia repair
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder removal)
Locations Mr Ahmed Elshaer works with
Mr Elshaer gained his M.Sc and PhD during his training. His PhD studied the role of laparoscopy in advanced abdominal injuries. It was published in a peer-reviewed journal. His research interests were directed towards minimally invasive surgery, bariatric surgery, oesophageogastric and pancreatic cancers. Mr Elshaer is also a reviewer in numerous high-impact journals.
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- European Association of Endoscopic Surgery (EAES).
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery of Great Britain and Ireland (AUGIS)
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS)
- International Federation for Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic disorders (IFSO)
- Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain & Ireland (ALSGBI)
- International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus (ISDE)
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ASGBI
Other posts held
- Consultant Upper GI and General Surgeon University Hospitals Sussex NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Ahmed Elshaer works with
Mr Ahmed Elshaer works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Bupa On Demand
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Ahmed Elshaer does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Ahmed Elshaer does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Ahmed Elshaer does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.