I specialised in hand and wrist surgery early in my career, struck by the intricacy of the anatomy and the importance of the function to my patients’ daily lives. I am now a highly qualified hand and wrist surgeon, performing all related Orthopaedic and Plastic Surgery.
I trained in London as an Orthopaedic surgeon, specialising in hand and wrist surgery, and then completed a Plastic hand surgery fellowship at the Windsor Hand Clinic, Berkshire. At this time I was also one of the first to be awarded the Diploma of Hand Surgery by the British Society for Surgery of the Hand. I then headed to Australia and completed fellowships in Plastic microsurgery for the hand (Bernard O’Brien Institute, Melbourne) and in upper limb complex trauma and reconstruction (Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane).
In Australia, I also gained expertise in surgical advances that reduce recovery time, including wrist arthroscopy. I am one of a few surgeons in Scotland performing this keyhole surgery.
Since 2010 I have worked as a consultant in Edinburgh, at the Plastic Surgery unit of St John’s Hospital and the Orthopaedic unit at the Royal Infirmary, where my practice consists wholly of hand and wrist surgery.
I was awarded an MD (Doctor of Medicine) from University College, London, in 2003 for my thesis on the tissue engineering of bone and application in healing defects, on which I was invited to talk internationally. I have won prizes in the UK and abroad for this research and have been awarded research grants in both the UK and Australia. I have published over 27 research publications.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and surgery
- Osteoarthritis and inflammatory arthritis affecting the hand and wrist
- Wrist pain, including arthroscopic (keyhole) treatment and TFCC tears
- Dupuytren’s Disease, including recent advances in injection techniques
- Hand and wrist injuries, including fractures, tendons and post-traumatic reconstruction
- Innovative hand surgery technique
- Base of thumb arthritis.
Treatments and tests offered by Miss Philippa Rust at Nuffield Health
- Hand surgery
- British Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- British Medical Association