Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya has been a Consultant in Metabolic Medicine since 2014, specialising in lipid disorders, diabetes, inherited metabolic diseases, electrolyte imbalance and laboratory medicine.
He sees patients with cholesterol disorders, prediabetes and metabolic syndrome, disorders of electrolytes and investigation of rare metabolic disorders. He also advises patients and other doctors on the implications of blood tests.
Dr Mbagaya is the Clinical Lead for Pathology at Weston General Hospital. He is also an honorary senior lecturer for the University of Bristol and provides teaching and mentorship for students and doctors in training. He is Year 3 Lead for University of Bristol North Somerset Academy, and regularly teaches GP courses on laboratory medicine and metabolic disorders.
- · Metabolic Syndrome
- · Hypercholesterolaemia
- · Cardiovascular Risk reduction
- · Electrolyte imbalance
- · Mineral and Vitamin replacement
- · Inherited metabolic diseases
- · Abnormal blood tests
In his free time, Dr Mbagaya enjoys cycling and spending time with his family.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya at Nuffield Health
- Fatigue screen
- Blood test
- Rheumatology profiles
- Endocrine investigations
- Cardiovascular risk profile
- Drug and medication monitoring
- Family history screening
- Core biochemistry screens
- Workplace drug testing
- Haematology profiles
- Osteoporosis screen
- Vitamin deficiency test
- Wellness screening
- Gluten sensitivity screening
- Mbagaya W, Luvai A, Waise A. Diagnostic biochemical markers for heart failure. Pract Diab 2018: 35; 149-151
- Barth JH, Luvai A., Jassam N, Mbagaya W, Kilpatrick ES, Narayanan D, Spoors S. Comparison of method-related reference intervals for thyroid hormones: studies from a prospective reference population and a literature review. Ann Clin Biochem 2017: 55;107-112
- Mbagaya W, Luvai A, Lopez B. Biological variation of troponin in stable haemodialysis Patients. Ann Clin Biochem 2015: 52;562-568
- Luvai A, Mbagaya W, Narayanan D, Degg T, Toogood G, Wyatt JI, Swinson D, Hall CJ, Barth JH. Hepatocellular carcinoma in variegate porphyria: a case report and literature review. Ann Clin Biochem 2015: 52;407-412
- Jassam N, Mbagaya W, Kallner A, Hill R, Carless D, Barth JH, Delaney, H, Lippiatt C, Shepherd J, Glover S, Slack S, Mitchell K, Strafen A, Bosomworth MP. Does creatinine analytical performance support robust identification of acute kidney injury within individual laboratories in a region? Clin Chem Lab Med 2015: 53; e63-e65
- Mbagaya W, Orme SM. Weight Loss and Dizziness: Adrenal Failure. In R. Ajjan, S.M. Orme (eds.), Endocrinology and Diabetes: Case Studies, Questions and Commentaries © Springer-Verlag London 2015. pp 91 -97
- Mbagaya W, Foo J, Luvai A, King C, Mapplebeck S, Gough A, Jassam N. Persistently raised aspartate aminotransferase (AST) due to macro-AST in a rheumatology clinic. Diagnosis. 2015: 2;137–140, ISSN (Online) 2194-802X, ISSN DOI: 10.1515/dx-2014-0065, January 2015
- Narayanan D, Mbagaya W, Aye M, Kilpatrick ES, Barth JH. Management of severe in-patient hyponatraemia: an audit in two teaching hospitals in Yorkshire, UK. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 2015: 75;1-6
- Luvai A, Mbagaya W, Hall AS, Barth JH. Rosuvastatin: A Review of the Pharmacology and Clinical Effectiveness in Cardiovascular Disease. Clinical Medicine Insights: Cardiology 2012: 6; 17–33
- Luvai A. Mbagaya W. Patient Management: Secondary Hyperlipidaemia. Foundation Years Journal. 2011:5; 40–43.
- Fellowship of Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
- Fellowship of Royal College of Pathologists
- Association of Clinical Biochemistry
- European Atherosclerosis Society
- British Inherited Metabolic Diseases Group
Other posts held
- University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Trust
Insurers Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya works with
Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.