Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya
MBChB, FRCP Edin, FRCPath
GMC number: 6084896
Practicing since: 1999
Chemical Pathology, Metabolic Medicine
- Tuesday and Friday
Or call us on
Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya is a Consultant in Metabolic Medicine and Clinical Biochemistry at University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Trust. He runs busy diabetes, lipid and inherited adult metabolic clinics, with continued leadership in laboratory medicine, and also sees private patients at Nuffield Health Bristol Hospital and via virtual consultations.
Dr Mbagaya has extensive experience in Metabolic Medicine, and specialises in the treatment and management of diabetes, lipid disorders, electrolyte imbalance and inherited metabolic diseases. He manages patients with various metabolic conditions, including unexplained fatigue, trimethylaminuria and other malodour syndromes, as well as regularly advising patients and other doctors on blood test results and their implications.
He has a special interest in the management of mineral and nutrient deficiencies, such as hypomagnesaemia, phosphate deficiency and vitamin D deficiency. His metabolic medicine background gives him insight in management of metabolic effects of medications such as antidepressants, antipsychotics, chemotherapy and immune modulators. He sees patients for metabolic optimisation before surgery, pregnancy and recovery phase.
In addition to his clinical roles, Dr Mbagaya participates in clinical research. He has been a principal investigator and sub-investigator in a number of novel cholesterol medications, with some now in practice. He has been an early prescriber of injectable cholesterol medications and GLP-1 agonists.
Dr Mbagaya is a Clinical Director for Laboratory Medicine at University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Trust. Alongside his clinical work, he is an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Bristol, teaching both students and doctors in training. He regularly teaches at nationwide GP courses on metabolic disorders and laboratory medicine.
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Cardiovascular Risk reduction
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Mineral and Vitamin replacement
- Inherited metabolic diseases
- Abnormal blood tests
In his free time, Dr Mbagaya enjoys cycling and spending time with his family.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya at Nuffield Health
- Fatigue screen
- Blood test
- Rheumatology profiles
- Endocrine investigations
- Cardiovascular risk profile
- Drug and medication monitoring
- Family history screening
- Core biochemistry screens
- Workplace drug testing
- Haematology profiles
- Osteoporosis screen
- Vitamin deficiency test
- Wellness screening
- Gluten sensitivity screening
Locations Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya works with
- Mbagaya W, Luvai A, Waise A. Diagnostic biochemical markers for heart failure. Pract Diab 2018: 35; 149-151
- Barth JH, Luvai A., Jassam N, Mbagaya W, Kilpatrick ES, Narayanan D, Spoors S. Comparison of method-related reference intervals for thyroid hormones: studies from a prospective reference population and a literature review. Ann Clin Biochem 2017: 55;107-112
- Mbagaya W, Luvai A, Lopez B. Biological variation of troponin in stable haemodialysis Patients. Ann Clin Biochem 2015: 52;562-568
- Luvai A, Mbagaya W, Narayanan D, Degg T, Toogood G, Wyatt JI, Swinson D, Hall CJ, Barth JH. Hepatocellular carcinoma in variegate porphyria: a case report and literature review. Ann Clin Biochem 2015: 52;407-412
- Jassam N, Mbagaya W, Kallner A, Hill R, Carless D, Barth JH, Delaney, H, Lippiatt C, Shepherd J, Glover S, Slack S, Mitchell K, Strafen A, Bosomworth MP. Does creatinine analytical performance support robust identification of acute kidney injury within individual laboratories in a region? Clin Chem Lab Med 2015: 53; e63-e65
- Mbagaya W, Orme SM. Weight Loss and Dizziness: Adrenal Failure. In R. Ajjan, S.M. Orme (eds.), Endocrinology and Diabetes: Case Studies, Questions and Commentaries © Springer-Verlag London 2015. pp 91 -97
- Mbagaya W, Foo J, Luvai A, King C, Mapplebeck S, Gough A, Jassam N. Persistently raised aspartate aminotransferase (AST) due to macro-AST in a rheumatology clinic. Diagnosis. 2015: 2;137–140, ISSN (Online) 2194-802X, ISSN DOI: 10.1515/dx-2014-0065, January 2015
- Narayanan D, Mbagaya W, Aye M, Kilpatrick ES, Barth JH. Management of severe in-patient hyponatraemia: an audit in two teaching hospitals in Yorkshire, UK. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 2015: 75;1-6
- Luvai A, Mbagaya W, Hall AS, Barth JH. Rosuvastatin: A Review of the Pharmacology and Clinical Effectiveness in Cardiovascular Disease. Clinical Medicine Insights: Cardiology 2012: 6; 17–33
- Luvai A. Mbagaya W. Patient Management: Secondary Hyperlipidaemia. Foundation Years Journal. 2011:5; 40–43.
- Fellowship of Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
- Fellowship of Royal College of Pathologists
- Association of Clinical Biochemistry
- European Atherosclerosis Society
- British Inherited Metabolic Diseases Group
Other posts held
- University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Trust
Insurers Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya works with
Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Wycliffe Mbagaya does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.