Following completion of general medical training at University College London medical school and specialist radiology training at Imperial College teaching hospitals, Dr Shah commenced his consultant post in 2011.
Building on his subspecialist training in abdominopelvic radiology, he has introduced new imaging techniques in Leicester. He crafted a new pathway for patient-friendly colon imaging using CT, including the introduction of faecal tagging into routine practice. This is now recognized as the best way to conduct these tests.
He is the sole provider of pelvic floor imaging (endoanal ultrasound and proctograms) in Leicestershire and Northamptonshire, and receive requests for these studies internationally. He has also introduced multiple other innovative methods of performing MRI scans which improve scan quality whilst reducing scan time and enhancing patient comfort. He has spoken at multiple international meetings about his specialist clinical interests of pelvic floor, small bowel, rectal and anal imaging.
Outside of clinical and research activity, his main interest is teaching. He runs three international radiology courses, and has recently written an iBook on radiology for junior doctors, and is actively involved in teaching junior radiologists using social media and web technology.
He is the Medical Education Lead for Imaging within the NHS Trust.
Cooking, travelling and spending time with his family.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Vikas Shah at Nuffield Health
- AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm)
- CT scan (or CAT scan)
- Gastrointestinal radiology
- MRI scan
- Defecating disorders – a common cause of constipation in women. Women’s Health. N. Dimitriou, V. Shah, D. Stark, R. Mathew, A. Miller, J. Yeung. 2015; Volume 11 Issue 4
- Circumferential resection margins of rectal tumours post-radiotherapy: how can MRI aid surgical planning?. E. McGlone, V. Shah, C. Lowdell, D. Blunt, P. Cohen, P.M. Dawson. Techniques in Coloproctology. 2014; 18(10): 937-943. DOI: 10.1007/s10151-014-1199-8
- Cancers of the anal canal: diagnosis, treatment and future strategies. E. Bown, V. Shah, T. Sridhar, K. Boyle, D. Hemingway, J.M. Yeung. Future Oncology. 2014; 10(8): 1427-42
- Royal College of Radiologists
- British Society of Gastrointestinal and Abdominal Radiologists
Other post held
- Consultant Radiologist at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust – cross-site
Dr Vikas Shah does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Vikas Shah does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Vikas Shah does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.