Dr Syed Haris Ahmed
MBBS, FRCP, SCE (Diabetes & Endocinology)
GMC number: 6041561
Practicing since: 2001
Endocrinology and Diabetes Mellitus, General (internal) Medicine
Or call us on
Dr Syed Haris Ahmed is a Consultant Physician in Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at the Countess of Chester Hospital, as well as the Lead for Antenatal Care and Technologies in the Diabetes Unit.
He has pioneered many initiatives in his work environment to improve the care of his patients. He was awarded the Quality in Care Diabetes award for patient care in 2019 for an initiative he undertook to improve care for pregnant diabetic women. He also successfully pioneered the use of Skype technology to improve antenatal patient care and experience, and he has received an award for Outstanding Patient Care at his hospital.
Dr Ahmed is a fellow member of the Royal College of Physicians (RCP), a certified RCP examiner and a member of the QWG (Question Writing Group) of the RCP for the Diabetes and Endocrine specialty exam. He is also a consultant representative in the West Cheshire Area Prescribing Committee.
He is interested and involved in research and education. He peer reviews submissions to major journals in his specialty and he actively publishes in peer-reviewed journals. He is a Senior Clinical Lecturer at the University of Liverpool as well as an MBChB Clinical Tutor at the University of Liverpool, where his role involves facilitating Case-Based Learning sessions, delivering lectures and debrief sessions, providing academic research supervision, taking part in the Mini Medical Interviews, and question and OSCE station writing.
- Weight management
- Bariatric (weight management)
- Thyroid disorders
- Pituitary disorders
- Adrenal disorders
- Male and female sex hormone disorders
- Insulin pumps and diabetes technology
- Metabolic Bone disease
English, Hindi, Urdu
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Syed Haris Ahmed at Nuffield Health
- Fatigue screen
- Endocrine investigations
- Vitamin deficiency test
Locations Dr Syed Haris Ahmed works with
- Changing how we risk-categorise in Ramadan: Does the IDF-DAR scoring system achieve the requirements for people with diabetes internationally? (PMID: 33901626; DOI: 10.1016/j.diabres.2021.108835)
- COVID-19, Diabetes and Ramadan (PMID: 32880875; PMCID: PMC7471486; DOI: 10.1007/s13300-020-00887-x)
- Looping with Do-It-Yourself Artificial Pancreas Systems During Ramadan Fasting in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Perspectives of a User and a Physician (PMID: 32909193; PMCID: PMC7480212; DOI: 10.1007/s13300-020-00901-2)
- Ramadan and Diabetes: A Narrative Review and Practice Update (PMID: 32909192; PMCID: PMC7480213; DOI: 10.1007/s13300-020-00886-y)
- Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Artificial Pancreas Systems for Type 1 Diabetes: Perspectives of Two Adult Users, Parent of a User and Healthcare Professionals (PMID: 32696329; PMCID: PMC7444403; DOI: 10.1007/s12325-020-01431-w)
- Post-Transplantation Diabetes Mellitus (PMID: 32095994; PMCID: PMC7136383; DOI: 10.1007/s13300-020-00790-5)
- Heterozygous Insulin Receptor (INSR) Mutation Associated with Neonatal Hyperinsulinemic Hypoglycaemia and Familial Diabetes Mellitus: Case Series (PMID: 31989990; PMCID: PMC7711633; DOI: 10.4274/jcrpe.galenos.2019.2019.0106)
- 1224-P: Improving Compliance with SGLT2 Inhibitors by Reducing the Risk of Genital Mycotic Infections: The Outcomes of Personal Hygiene Advice (Diabetes
- Tacrolimus, (Practical Diabetes International)
- Successful Outcomes with Insulin Degludec in Pregnancy: A Case Series (PMID: 30443804; PMCID: PMC6349292; DOI: 10.1007/s13300-018-0532-z)
- General Medical Council
- Royal College of Physicians
- British Medical Association
- Society for Endocrinology
- Diabetes UK
Other posts held
- Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Insurers Dr Syed Haris Ahmed works with
Dr Syed Haris Ahmed works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Syed Haris Ahmed does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Syed Haris Ahmed does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Syed Haris Ahmed does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.