Dr Weatherby is a Consultant Neurologist. He is the clinical director of the Neurology Department at University Hospitals Plymouth, the clinical lead for stroke care and an honorary associate professor at Plymouth University Medical School. He is also a co-director of the peninsula headache network and the peninsula motor neurone disease network.
Dr Weatherby qualified from Bristol University and trained in general medicine in North Staffordshire and Oxford. He completed general neurology training at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Birmingham and has a research degree in genetic factors involved in multiple sclerosis.
He carried out additional sub-speciality training in headache at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery.
Dr Weatherby has received the following awards for his clinical care:
- Headache professional of the year from national charity Migraine Action in 2011
- Motor Neurone Disease Team - a finalist in the National Health Service journal awards 2017
- Acute Neurology Team - a finalist in the National Health Service journal awards 2018
Dr Weatherby has an interest in all aspects of general neurology and a particular subspeciality interest in acute neurology, headache disorders and motor neurone disease.
As selection of papers and chapters includes:
- Imaging patients with suspected brain tumour. Guidance for Primary Care, D. Kernick, F. Ahmed, A. Bahra, A. Dowson, G. Elrington, M. Fontebasso, N.Giffin, S. Lipscombe, A. MacGregor, R. Peatfield, S. Weatherby, T. Whitmarsh and P. Goadsby. British Journal of General Practice. (2008) Dec; 58(557):880-5
- Oxford Handbook of Headache, 3 chapters. (Oxford University Press, 2009 ISBN 978-0-19-923259-8)
- Severe Headache of Sudden Onset; Price C. and Weatherby S., pp51-61
- Management of Thunderclap Headache, Harikrishnan S, Price C, Honan W, McLean B, Weatherby S, eBMJ 2011
- Headache due to disorders of CSF pressure; Ball A, Imam I, and Weatherby S. pp181-195
- Psychology in Headache Management; Kaiser R, and Weatherby S pp 248-252
Dr Weatherby has published in various aspects of general neurology and co-written several book chapters including for the Oxford Handbook of Headache. He is a co-author of national imaging guidance for primary care management of acute headache conditions and is currently involved in developing national guidance for the management of headache disorders.
Publications/presentations are summarised on https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Stuart_Weatherby
- Council Member of British Association for the Study of Headache
- Co-director Peninsula Motor Neurone Disease Network
- Founder member of Peninsula Headache Network
- Anglo-Dutch Migraine Association
- International Headache Society
- British Medical Association
- Association of British Neurologists
- Chair of the British Association for the study of Headache
- Member of the National Headache Guideline writing committee
- Member of the Association of British Neurology Acute Neurology Group
Other posts held
- Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust, Derriford Hospital
- Trust Lead for long-term conditions
- Consultant neurologist at Derriford hospital, Plymouth
- Honorary associate professor at Plymouth Medical School
- Service lead for Neurology at Derriford Hospital
Insurers Dr Stuart Weatherby works with
Dr Stuart Weatherby works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Stuart Weatherby does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Stuart Weatherby does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Stuart Weatherby does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.