Dr Ward has been a consultant in Pain Medicine since 2000 and was the lead clinician for the BSUH Pain Medicine Department until August 2018. He is now a consultant in Pain Medicine at Guy’s & St Thomas’ Hospitals, London (Centre for Pain and Neuromodulation) but still provides consultant services to the primary care based pain service at the Vale MSK Centre in Haywards Heath.
Dr Ward was Chair of the NICE Guideline on Low Back Pain and Sciatica published in 2016, Chair of the NICE Guideline on Rheumatoid Arthritis (2018) and Chair of the NICE Guideline on Epilepsy (in progress).
Dr Ward has been a member of Council of the British Pain Society and Hon. Secretary of the Pain Intervention Specialist Interest Group. He was an elected board member of the Faculty of Pain Medicine of the Royal College of Anaesthetists and a member of the Training and Assessment Committee of the College. He is a member of the Standards Committee of the Spinal Intervention Society.
Dr Ward was Chair of the National Pain Audit and Co-chair Map of Medicine Low Back Pain Pathway and is a specialist advisor to NICE for their Interventional Procedures Programme and a member of the NICE Expert Advisers Committee.
Dr Ward’s specialist interest is the management of spinal pain and he sees approximately 1000 new patients a year in the NHS and private sectors and performs over 1000 interventional pain relief procedures a year.
Dr Ward is currently studying towards a Master’s degree in medical statistics at Oxford University.
- Low back and neck pain – Interventional pain therapies (Joint injections, diagnostic Injection procedures, radiofrequency denervation)
- Radicular pain/Sciatica – nerve root injections, epidurals, spinal cord stimulator implantation
- Neuropathic pain
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Headache and facial pain
Tennis and cartooning
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Stephen Ward at Nuffield Health
- Lumbar sympathetic blocks
- Trigger Point Injections
- Pain clinic
- Epidural injection for pain relief
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Facet joint injections
- Guanethidine block injections
- Stellate ganglion blocks
- Nerve blocks
1. Clinical guidelines for low back pain: A critical review of consensus and inconsistencies across three major guidelines. O'Connell NE, Cook CE, Wand BM, Ward SP. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2016 Dec;30(6):968-980. doi: 10.1016/j.berh.2017.05.001.
2. Low Back Pain: What Have Clinical Guidelines Ever Done for Us? O'Connell NE, Ward SP. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2018 Feb;48(2):54-57. doi: 10.2519/jospt.2018.0602.
3. An update of comprehensive evidence-based guidelines for interventional techniques in chronic spinal pain. Part II: guidance and recommendations.
Manchikanti L, Abdi S, Atluri S, Benyamin RM, Boswell MV, Buenaventura RM, Bryce DA, Burks PA, Caraway DL, Calodney AK, Cash KA, Christo PJ, Cohen SP, Colson J, Conn A, Cordner H, Coubarous S, Datta S, Deer TR, Diwan S, Falco FJ, Fellows B, Geffert S, Grider JS, Gupta S, Hameed H, Hameed M, Hansen H, Helm S 2nd, Janata JW, Justiz R, Kaye AD, Lee M, Manchikanti KN, McManus CD, Onyewu O, Parr AT, Patel VB, Racz GB, Sehgal N, Sharma ML, Simopoulos TT, Singh V, Smith HS, Snook LT, Swicegood JR, Vallejo R, Ward SP, Wargo BW, Zhu J, Hirsch JA.
Pain Physician. 2013 Apr;16(2 Suppl):S49-283.
4. An update of the effectiveness of therapeutic lumbar facet joint interventions.
Falco FJ, Manchikanti L, Datta S, Sehgal N, Geffert S, Onyewu O, Zhu J, Coubarous S, Hameed M, Ward SP, Sharma M, Hameed H, Singh V, Boswell MV.
Pain Physician. 2012 Nov-Dec;15(6):E909-53. Review.
5. Systematic review of the therapeutic effectiveness of cervical facet joint interventions: an update.
Falco FJ, Manchikanti L, Datta S, Wargo BW, Geffert S, Bryce DA, Atluri S, Singh V, Benyamin RM, Sehgal N, Ward SP, Helm S 2nd, Gupta S, Boswell MV.
Pain Physician. 2012 Nov-Dec;15(6):E839-68. Review.
6. Effectiveness of therapeutic lumbar transforaminal epidural steroid injections in managing lumbar spinal pain.
Manchikanti L, Buenaventura RM, Manchikanti KN, Ruan X, Gupta S, Smith HS, Christo PJ, Ward SP.
Pain Physician. 2012 May-Jun;15(3):E199-245. Review.
- British Pain Society
- World Institute of Pain
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
- European Federation of International Association for the Study of Pain
Other posts held
- Consultant Pain Medicine, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Consultant Pain Medicine, Princess Royal Hospital
- Consultant Pain Medicine, Hurstwood Park Neurological Centre
Insurers Dr Stephen Ward works with
Dr Stephen Ward works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Stephen Ward does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Stephen Ward does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Stephen Ward does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.