Dr Sophie Mayhew is a Consultant Clinical Psychologist, specializing in Adult Mental Health with a special interest in psychosis and shame related difficulties. She has worked as a psychologist in healthcare for over 20 years and as a Clinical Psychologist since 2003.
She is an advocate and practitioner of Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) and provides assessment, formulation and therapy as well as practitioner supervision and training. She also offers Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
CFT facilitates people to develop courage, a kinder relationship towards themselves and skills to manage their emotions, behaviours and thoughts, especially those who encounter difficulties including:
- Low self-esteem
- Self-critical thinking
- Relationship problems
- Hearing voices
Sophie offers a high quality, evidence-based, confidential clinical psychology service without the waiting time in pleasant, private premises.
Compassion Focused Therapy, Psychosis, Shame
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Walking and exploring our coastline and creative painting, with a particular interest in Kurt Jackson’s work
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Sophie L Mayhew at Nuffield Health
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Mayhew, S. (2015) Compassion Focused Therapy for People Experiencing Psychosis. In Meaden, A. & Fox, A. (Eds) Innovations in Psychosocial Interventions for Psychosis: Working with the Hard to Reach, Brunner-Routledge.
- Koch, H. Livingstone, L & Mayhew, S. (2017) Material Contribution in Psychological Injury
- Case: Kennedy v. London Ambulance Service Trust (LAS) 2016 QBD
- Koch, H., Elson, P., Cosway, R. and Mayhew, S. (2017) Specific Phobia Following Road Traffic Collision: Medico-legal issues of diagnosis causation, and prognosis in single case study.
- Mayhew, S. (2015) Compassion Focused Therapy for People Experiencing Psychosis. In Meaden, A. & Fox, A. (Eds) Innovations in Psychosocial Interventions for Psychosis: Working with the Hard to Reach, Brunner-Routledge.
- Mayhew, S. and Gilbert, P. (2008) Compassionate Mind Training with People Who Hear Malevolent Voices: A Case Series Report. Practitioner Report. Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy, 15, 113 – 138
- Mayhew, S. and Gilbert, P. (2006) Compassionate Mind Training with People Who Hear Malevolent Voices: A Case Series Report. Schizophrenia Research, 86 (suppl), s60
- Mayhew, S.L. (2000) Service Engagement with Assertive Outreach and Illness Appraisals in Individuals with Psychotic Illness. Doctoral Thesis, University of Birmingham
- Mayhew, S. (1999) Early Intervention and Prevention of Psychotic Relapse, Partnerships in Mental Health, NHS Executive
- Mayhew, S. (1999) Early Intervention: Collaboration with Service Users in Understanding and Controlling the Re-appearance of Psychotic Experiences, Label Free, NBMHT.
- British Psychological Society
- Clinical Psychology Division of the British Psychological Society
- Health and Care Professions Council
- British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
- Associate Member, The Compassionate Mind Foundation
Other posts held
- Livewell Southwest CiC : Consultant Clinical Psychologist. Lead for Specialist Adult Mental Health Psychology
- Equanimity Clinical Psychology Services. Company Owner, Consultant Clinical Psychologist
Insurers Dr Sophie L Mayhew works with
Dr Sophie L Mayhew works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Sophie L Mayhew does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Sophie L Mayhew does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Sophie L Mayhew does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.