I am a Consultant Dermatologist and Mohs Surgeon in the Department of Dermatology, Edinburgh, NHS Lothian and specialise in the diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer.
I graduated from Edinburgh Medical School in 2003 and began specialist training in dermatology in Wessex as an academic clinical fellow, then moved to London and completed my training at the Royal Free Hospital and the Royal London Hospital. I undertook a 12 month Mohs Surgery and Skin Cancer Fellowship at the Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle Upon Tyne and took up my consultant post in Edinburgh in 2014.
I have been involved with teaching and training dermatology trainees, GPs and GP trainees, medical students and nursing colleagues in general dermatology, skin lesion recognition, dermoscopy, skin cancer treatment and skin surgery, have been an examiner for the Royal College of Physicians, Glasgow, and faculty member for the British Society for Dermatologic Surgery Annual Surgical Workshop. I have published and reviewed articles for international peer-reviewed medical journals.
I value a collaborative approach to decision-making with my patients and enjoy working with colleagues in other specialities. I am an active member of the regional Melanoma and High-Risk Non-Melanoma Multidisciplinary groups. I am a member of the Scottish Dermatological Society, the British Association of Dermatologists, the British Society for Dermatologic Surgery (co-opted executive committee member from 2014-2016) and a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh.
I am the lead clinician for Skin Cancer and Skin Surgery in the Department of Dermatology, Edinburgh, NHS Lothian, and Chair of the South East Scotland Cancer Network Skin Specific Tumour Group.
- Clinical and dermoscopic assessment of skin lesions including moles and skin cancer
- Dermatologic surgery under local anaesthetic for skin cancers and benign lesions
- Mohs micrographic surgery.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Shantini Rice at Nuffield Health
- Skin surgery
- Excision of skin lesion
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh)
- British Society of Dermatologic Surgery
- British Association of Dermatologists
- Scottish Dermatological Society
- British Medical Association, Medical Protection Society
Other posts held
- Department of Dermatology, Edinburgh, NHS Lothian