I am a Consultant Neurologist… but also an adopted Yorkshireman- my wife was born in York, we were marred in the Dales and both my children are being raised here. I’m very proud to say that I work here too.
I studied Medicine at University of Nottingham, which included a Bachelor of Medical Sciences with Honours. This was followed by a Junior Doctor career that has taken me to Derby, Nottingham, Coventry, Bradford and Leeds, before finally arriving in York as a Consultant Neurologist.
I see patients in weekly outpatient clinics with Epilepsy, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, Headache and many more diagnoses. I also do Acute Neurology work seeing inpatients, mainly in York, but also Scarborough Hospital.
I have a Specialist Interest in Epilepsy but am interested in all aspects of General Neurology. I think the most important thing about Clinical Neurology is good communication- if you don’t understand what is causing your symptoms, then it’s hard to work out what to do about them.
Finally, I keep in touch with Neurologists across the region on a weekly basis that which helps make sure I keep my knowledge up-to-date.
Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, Motor Neurone Disease, Neuropathy
Music: mainly piano & guitar
.List of publications:
Journal Articles listed, available via ‘PubMed’
• Datta S, Cosgrove J, Alam T, Ford HL. “Unusual case of bilateral hand weakness.” Pract Neurol. 2017 Dec;17(6):479-481.
• Datta S, Foss AJ, Grainge MJ et al. “The importance of acuity, stereopsis and contrast sensitivity for health-related quality of life in elderly women with cataracts”. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008 Jan; 49(1):1-6.
• NeuroID 2016: Datta S, Williams S, Alty J. ‘An uncommon complication from a very common pathogen’
• ESC 2014 (European Stroke Conference). Sansom L, Azad R, Datta S, Ramadan H. ‘Predictive value of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) xanthochromia in CT negative thunderclap headache’.
- North of England Neurological Association (NENA)
Other posts held
- York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Consultant Neurologist
Dr Sayan Datta does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Sayan Datta does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Sayan Datta does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.