Dr Rupert Ransford was born and brought up in Herefordshire, training at St. George’s Medical School in London, where he qualified in 1988. After initial training posts in London and then Gloucestershire, he undertook his first Registrar post in Hereford in 1991.
Following an interesting year in General Practice, he successfully undertook a five-year training programme in Birmingham in specialist gastroenterology. During this time, he researched into the link between anaemia and Coeliac disease culminating in the award of MD for his thesis by Birmingham University. This research was published and presented in the UK, Europe and North America and received the Medal of Distinction. He has continued to support research activities through the British Society of Gastroenterology for which he is now the national Clinical Guidelines Lead and also the Guidelines Associate Editor for Gut.
He has developed his endoscopic and colonoscopic expertise to a high level and is the only accredited bowel cancer screening colonoscopist in Herefordshire. He was instrumental in setting up the Bowel Cancer Screening Programme in Herefordshire and Worcestershire which has been one of the most successful in England.
Dr Ransford provides a high quality, approachable, holistic service and enjoys keeping up with innovative techniques in the exciting field of gastroenterology.
- Dyspepsia, Reflux Disease
- Gallstones, Jaundice, Liver Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis, Crohns Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Coeliac Disease, Anaemia
- Bowel Cancer Screening, Colonic Polyps
- Abdominal Pain, Constipation, Diarrhoea, Rectal Bleeding
- Endoscopy, Flexible Sigmoidoscopy and Colonoscopy
- CT Colonography (CT of large bowel) and MRI of Small Bowel
Dr Ransford is married with three daughters and is a keen horseman.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Rupert Ransford at Nuffield Health
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- MD Thesis: Screening for Adult Coeliac Disease and Prospective Investigation of Iron Deficiency Anaemia (University of Birmingham)
- MD Thesis: Coeliac Disease and Iron Deficiency anaemia (University of Birmingham)
- Ransford RAJ, Hayes M, Palmer M, Hall MJ. A c ontrolled, perspective screening study of coeliac disease presenting as iron deficiency anaemia. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology. 2002;34(3):228-233.
- Ransford RAJ & Langman MJS. Sulfasalazine and mesalazine: serious adverse reactions re-evaluated. Gut 2002 51(4):536-9.
- Ransford RAJ "et al", Effect of lengthening the waiting list in liver transplantation. Gut 2000;47(3):441-443.
- Ransford RAJ, Jankowski JAZ. Genetic versus environmental interactions in the oesophagitis-metaplasia-dysplasia-adenocarcinoma sequence of Barretts oesophagus (Review). Acta Gastro-Enterologica Belgica 2000;63:18-21.
- Ransford RAJ and Jones BJM. 1000 weeks of Home Parenteral Nutrition in a District General Hospital. Journal of Intensive Care, 2000 and Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 1998.
- Ransford R. Ultrasound and obstructive jaundice. International Journal of Gastroenterology 1999;4(2):17-19.
- Ransford RAJ. Letter re: Relation between Oesophageal Acid Exposure and Healing of Oesophagitis with Omeprazole. Gut 1996;39:889.
- Royal College of Physicians of London (Fellow)
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- Midlands Gatroenterological Society (Treasurer)
- British Medical Association
Other posts held
- Consultant Gastroenterologist and Specialist Endoscopist at Hereford County Hospital
Insurers Dr Rupert Ransford works with
Dr Rupert Ransford works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA Health
- AXA - Global Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Bupa Global
- Bupa On Demand
- Cigna International
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- The Exeter Friendly
- Healix Healthcare
- Police Mutual
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Rupert Ransford does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Rupert Ransford does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Rupert Ransford does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.