Dr Neeraj Purohit
MBChB, MRCS(Eng), MSc(Lon), FRCR, PGDip SEM
GMC number: 6031325
Practicing since: 2001
- By appointment
Or call us on
Dr Neeraj Purohit is a full time Consultant in Musculoskeletal Radiology at University Hospital Southampton. He graduated from University of Sheffield Medical School in 2001.
After successfully completing a basic surgical training rotation he undertook an MSc at University College London in the field of skeletal tissue biology. Following 3 years as an orthopaedic registrar, Dr Purohit was selected on to the Wessex Clinical Radiology Training Programme and successfully attained Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists (FRCR) qualification before completing a yearlong fellowship in musculoskeletal radiology at Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, UK. Here he gained valuable experience in complex orthopaedic imaging and bone and soft tissue sarcoma imaging and biopsy.
Dr Purohit has
recently completed a diploma is Sports and Exercise Medicine at the University of South Wales with distinction.
Dr Purohit has a keen interest in education and holds a visiting academic role with the University of Southampton.
- Musculoskeletal diagnostic and image-guided intervention.
- Imaging of sports injuries
- Nuclear medicine Bone SPECT/CT imaging.
- Bone and soft tissue tumour imaging including image-guided biopsy.
- Joint, tendon and bursal injections.
- Plate Rich Plasma (PRP) injections, an alternative therapy to surgery for the treatment of chronic tendon conditions.
- Spinal imaging and image-guided spinal intervention. This includes nerve root blocks, facet joint injections.
- I trained at the University of Sheffield. After successfully completing a basic surgical rotation and obtaining my MRCS qualification, I trained in orthopaedic surgery for 3 years. During this period, I took time out to undertake an MSc at University College London. My research was on mesenchymal stem cells and skeletal tissue culture.
- I was selected on to the Wessex Clinical Radiology Training Programme and successfully attained Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists (FRCR) qualification before completing a fellowship in musculoskeletal radiology at Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, UK. I gained experience in complex orthopaedic imaging, radiofrequency ablation and bone and soft tissue tumour imaging and biopsy.
- I have training in nuclear medicine bone SPECT/CT imaging.
- I completed a diploma in Sports and Exercise Medicine at the University of South Wales with merit.
- I was appointed to a consultant post at the University Hospital Southampton in 2017.
In my spare time, I enjoy spending time with my wife
and 2 boys. I play the guitar, coach grass roots football and play competitive
tennis in a local league.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Neeraj Purohit at Nuffield Health
- Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment (PRP)
- Image guided joint injections
- Facet joint injections
- Nerve blocks
Locations Dr Neeraj Purohit works with
- I have published widely in both surgical and radiology journals and have presented both nationally and internationally.
- I am currently a reviewer for the British Journal of Radiology cases and the European Congress of Radiology.
- I am the clinical supervisor for the trainees in musculoskeletal radiology.
I am a lecturer at the University of Southampton Medical School.
Selection of publications and awards:
- Purohit, N. King, L. Ultrasound of lower limb sports injuries. Ultrasound 2015;23:149-157
- Purohit, N, Skiadas, V, Sampson, M. Imaging features of spinal trauma: what the radiologist needs to know. Clin Radiol. 2015 May;70(5):544-554.
- Purohit, N, Theaker, J, Breen, DJ. Unusual Radiological Behaviour After Cryoablation of Renal Cell Carcinoma. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2014 Dec;37(6):1631-4.
- Purohit, N, Kalairajah, Y. Are patients with fractured hips giving valid consent for surgery? The International Journal of Risk and Safety in Medicine. 2010;22(2):71-76
- Purohit, N, Channon, G. Bilateral subluxation of the knees secondary to neuroarthropathy: an unusual case. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2010;20:587-590.
- Royal College of Radiologists
- British Society of Skeletal Radiology
- European Society of Skeletal Radiology
- European Society of Radiology
Other posts held
- Southampton General Hospital. Consultant Musculoskeletal Radiologist
Dr Neeraj Purohit does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Neeraj Purohit does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Neeraj Purohit does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.