Dr Meera Tewani was appointed to Warwick Hospital in December 2009 after finishing her higher training in Anaesthetics and a Fellowship in Pain Management in the West Midlands. She trained in Pain Management as a Clinical Research Fellow in Birmingham Heartlands, Solihull, Good Hope and Russell Hall Hospitals, Marie Curie and St Giles Hospices.
She worked in Warwick Hospital and did the bulk of the Chronic Pain Management work for five years. She audited her work regularly using the Pain Audit Collection System software and by conducting her own audits. The audit results showed a positive outcome in majority of the pain patients.
She moved to Heart of England NHS Trust in December 2014 as she was keen in developing the Pelvic Pain services. She works in the Pain service which covers a wide area in Birmingham and does specialist Pain Clinics for complicated skin conditions.
Dr Tewani is a Council Member of the British Association of Musculoskeletal Medicine and has taught in their road-shows. She runs a national level course on examination skills for the Pain Specialist.
She has a rich and varied experience in Anaesthetics of 22 years. As a trauma anaesthetist she has helped in improving the outcome of very sick patients needing urgent surgery.
Dr Tewani provides a comprehensive interventional pain service. She does interventional procedures such as facet joint injections, lumbar sympathetic blocks and sacroiliac joint injections, epidurals, nerve blocks and trigger point injections. She can treat neck pain, nerve entrapment pain, neuropathic pain and persistent pain after surgery. She has an interest in neuromodulation which includes radiofrequency denervation of cervical, thoracic and lumbar facets and sacroiliac joints. She also does pulsed radiofrequency treatment of peripheral nerves.
Dr Tewani loves going on nature walks, reading, cooking, gardening, music, painting, playing squash and spending time with her family.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Meera Tewani at Nuffield Health
- Lumbar sympathetic blocks
- X-Ray Guided Facet Joint Injection
- Epidural injection for pain relief
- Facet joint injections
- Nerve blocks
- COPERS Study (2011 to date) - Coping with persistent pain - Effectiveness research into self-management was a multicentre study in Warwick University and Dr Tewani was a co-investigator.
- PICASO Study (2011 to date) - 'Pain, Improving Communication, Assessment and Satisfaction in Consultants.'
- Research as a Fellow in Pain Management (2008-2009) - As a Clinical Research Fellow in Pain, Dr Tewani submitted "A Study of Neuropathic Pain in certain inherited skin conditions" to the Ethics Committee for approval under the supervision of the research lead.
- Research Fellow in the Department of Science and Technology in Medicine, Keele University (2008) - She looked into "The Pulse Transit Time as an index of Cerebrovascular Function".This was published in the British Journal of Anaesthesia.
- Dissertation for MD training, Mumbai, Inida (1994-1995) - 'A comparative study of the haemodynamic changes during laryngeal mask insertion and endotracheal intubation after the induction of general anaesthesia'
- Faculty of Pain Medicine
- British Pain Society
- Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
- British Medical Association
- Difficult Airway Association
- Medical Defence Union
- Indian Society of Anaesthetists
Other post held
- Consultant in Anaesthesia and Pain Management, University Hospitals Birmingham
Insurers Dr Meera Tewani works with
Dr Meera Tewani works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
Dr Meera Tewani does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Meera Tewani does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Meera Tewani does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.