Dr Matthew Huggett is a Consultant at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital with specialist registration in Gastroenterology and Hepatology and practices within all areas of bowel and liver disease. He is one of the few physicians in the UK with a major interest in pancreaticobiliary disease and performs advanced level endoscopy including EUS and ERCP, as well as general endoscopy and colonoscopy.
His training involved experience at major centres in London including the Royal Free Hospital, King’s Liver Unit and St Mary’s Hospital; followed by a fellowship in advanced endoscopy at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle. His ongoing research interests include gastrointestinal cancer, chronic pancreatitis, autoimmune pancreatitis and sphincter of oddi dysfunction, and he was awarded a PhD from University College London in 2014 following his work into DNA replication in pancreatic cancer.
He sits on the British Society of Gastroenterology pancreatic section committee and is involved in training doctors in advanced endoscopy. He was appointed as a Consultant Gastroenterologist in Leeds in 2014.
- General Gastroenterology and Endoscopy
- Liver, biliary and gallbladder disease
- Pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer
- Investigation of abdominal pain including Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction
- Investigation of change in bowel habit
Road cycling, mountain biking, running and spending time with the family in the Yorkshire countryside.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Matthew Huggett at Nuffield Health
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatogram (or ERCP)
- Gastrointestinal tract
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- Pancreatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- Royal College of Physicians
Other posts held
- Consultant Gastroenterologist, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
Insurers Dr Matthew Huggett works with
Dr Matthew Huggett works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- CS Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Matthew Huggett does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Matthew Huggett does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Matthew Huggett does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.