Dr Ginks is a Consultant in Cardiology and Cardiac Electrophysiology at the John Radcliffe Hospital and the Manor Hospital in Oxford. He trained in this field at St Thomas’s Hospital and then St Bartholomew’s Hospital in London prior to taking up his consultant post in Oxford 2013.
Cardiac Electrophysiology is the study of heart rhythm disorders. Dr Ginks is a specialist in this area and frequently sees patients with palpitations, missed or skipped heart beats, dizziness or blackouts.
He regularly treats patients with conditions such as atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter or supra-ventricular tachycardia. He is an expert in treating people with these rhythm disturbances using a minimally invasive technique called catheter ablation and performs this type of procedure over a hundred times each year. He also implants loop recorders and carries out pacemaker procedures, ICD and CRT implants.
He recently edited the Oxford Textbook of Medicine Chapter on Cardiac Arrhythmias and is actively involved in clinical research.
Keen sportsman, languages and travel
English, French and Spanish
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Matthew Ginks at Nuffield Health
- Cardiac electrophysiology and ablation
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE)
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillator and cardiac resynchronisation therapy
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM)
- Event monitor
- MD research in new approaches to Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy
- Principal Investigator in Oxford for the Smart AF Trial for catheter ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation
- Reviewer for Circulation, Europace, European Journal of Cardiac Failure
- British Heart Rhythm Society
- Royal College of Physicians
Other post held
- Oxford University Hospitals
Dr Matthew Ginks does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Matthew Ginks does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Matthew Ginks does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.