Mark Lewis was educated at Queen Elizabeth Grammar School in Wakefield. He studied medicine at Newcastle University and trained as a neurologist in Yorkshire. During his neurology training he was awarded an NHS Clinical Research Fellowship and studied for his doctoral thesis in “The Neurology and Neuropsychology of Liver Disease” at Leeds University.
He was first appointed, as a consultant neurologist at the Neurosciences Centre at Mid-Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust in 2003, where he developed a regional neuro-otology clinic and went on to become the head of service in 2011. In 2016 he took up a new post at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, where he has established a regional neuro-otology clinic. He has been an Honorary Senior Lecturer at Leeds University since 2004.
His research interests are varied and include dizziness and balance disorders as well as continuing his doctoral work on the metabolic encephalopathies.
In addition to publishing a number of articles and book chapters in these areas, he has also been involved with innovative on-line resources such as the e-Brain project and Clinical Knowledge Summaries from NICE.
Dr Lewis is happy to see patients with a wide variety of general neurological symptoms and conditions which would include, for example:
- Brain problems
- Problems with memory and thinking ability (cognitive problems)
- Coordination problems
- Dizziness and balance problems
- Epilepsy and seizures
- Fits, faints, and funny turns
- Motor neurone disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscle problems
- Nerve problems
- Non-surgical spinal cord problems
- Parkinson’s disease
- Speech problems
- Tremors and other problems with either too little or too much movement (movement disorders)
- Walking problems
Please note this list are just examples and is not exhaustive, Dr Lewis treats all aspects of general neurological symptoms.
- General Neurology
- Neuro-otology (Dizziness and Balance Disorders)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh)
- Member of the Association of British Neurologists
- Member of the North of England Neurological Association
- Member of the British Society of Neuro-otologists
Other posts held
- Consultant Neurologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
Insurers Dr Mark Lewis works with
Dr Mark Lewis works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Mark Lewis does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Mark Lewis does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Mark Lewis does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.