Dr Baron has been a Consultant Cardiologist in Derby for 7 years. Prior to this she was a Registrar on the Leicester training rotation. As a Cardiologist, Ms Baron investigates and treats a wide variety of conditions, including chest pain, angina and ischaemic heart disease, myocardial infarctions (heart attacks), heart failure, cardiomyopathies, hypertension, palpitations, arrhythmias, syncope (blackouts). She also has an interest in valvular heart disease (murmurs) and their treatment, including the new options of treatments without open heart surgery such as Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI).
She treats adults (over 16 years) and aims to offer a holistic approach to her patients, taking time to talk to them in detail about their condition, the causes behind it and how it affects them.
Dr Baron carries out cardiac interventions such as angiography and stents (PCI). She is fully qualified to interpret CT calcium scores and 64 slice Cardiac CT coronary angiography.
- Coronary Intervention and ischaemic heart disease
- Cardiac CT
- Valvular heart disease
- Arrhythmia diagnosis and management
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Julia Baron at Nuffield Health
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Event monitor
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM)
- Interventional cardiology
Dr Baron's MD thesis was in Drug-eluting coronary stents to prevent stent thrombosis (clots) and restenosis (renarrowing). This was published in Cardiovascular Research. She has also published articles on diagnosis of Myocardial Infarction and has written an editorial (in Heart) on a new procedure for Aortic Stenosis called Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI).
She is principal site investigator for a trial comparing thrombolysis (clot busters) with primary angioplasty (immediate stenting) in myocardial infarction (heart attack). She has had several book chapters published.
- Baron JH, Gershlick AH, et al In vitro evaluation of c7E3-Fab (ReoProTM) eluting polymer-coated stents. Cardiovascular Research 2000;46:585-594.
- Baron JH, et al The use of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa antagonists in acute coronary syndromes - are we following the NICE guidelines? British Journal of Cardiology (Acute and Interventional Cardiology) 2003;10(3):AIC 75-AIC 77.
- Kovac J, Baron JH, Chin DT Are the standard criteria for TAVI too lax or too strict? Heart 2010, vol./is. 96/1(5-6), 1355-6037;1468-201X
- Gershlick AH, Baron JH. Dealing with in-stent restenosis. Heart 1998;79:319-323.
- Baron JH, Moiseeva EP, de Bono DP, Adams KR, Gershlick AH. Inhibition of vascular smooth muscle cell adhesion and migration by c7E3 Fab (abciximab): a possible mechanism for influencing restenosis. Cardiovascular Research 2000; 48(3):464-472.
- Gershlick AH, Baron JH, Armstrong J, Swanson N, Newman CMH, Holt C. Local drug delivery from coated stents. In Coronary artery stenting. A case orientated approach. Eds. Curzen N, Rothman MT. Chapter 15:179-189. Martin Dunitz Ltd, London, 2001.
- Fellow Royal College of Physicians
- British Cardiovascular Society
- British Cardiovascular Intervention Society
- British Society of Cardiovascular Imaging
Other post held
- Consultant Cardiologist, Royal Derby Hospital
- Honorary Consultant Cardiologist, Glenfield Hospital Leicester
- Visiting Consultant Cardiologist Nottingham Independent Treatment Centre (Circle)
Insurers Dr Julia Baron works with
Dr Julia Baron works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Dr Julia Baron does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Julia Baron does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Julia Baron does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.