David Gilligan is a Consultant Oncologist in the Thoracic Oncology Unit at Addenbrookes and Papworth Hospitals in Cambridge. He is also the Divisional Director for Cancer at Addenbrookes and a Recognized Clinical Teacher at the University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine. He trained in Oncology at The Christie Hospital, Manchester and in London at The Royal Marsden Hospital and University College Hospitals.
Dr Gilligan has been a member of the NCRI Lung Cancer Studies Group and is currently a member of Council, Royal College of Radiologists and of the NHS England Lung Cancer Expert Group. He sits on the Steering Committee of the British Thoracic Oncology Group (BTOG).
His main clinical and research interests are in all aspects of thoracic oncology and oesophagogastric tumours. He is a specialist advisor to Cancer Backup and CancerHelpUK, the patient information arm of Cancer Research UK.
- Thoracic oncology (lung cancer and mesothelioma)
- Upper GI (oesophageal and stomach) cancer
- Cancers of unknown primary origin.
Recent publications include:
- Gilligan D , Nicholson M, Smith I, Greon H, Dalesio O, Goldstraw P, Hatton M, Hopwood P, Manegold C, Schramel F, Smit h, van Meerbeeck H, Nankivell M, Parmar M, Pugh C and Stephens R. Preoperative chemotherapy in patients with resectable non-small cell lung cancer: Results of the MRC LU22/NVALT 2/EORTC 08012 multicentre randomised trial and update of sytematic review. Lancet(2007) 369: 1929-37
- Lee SM, James L, Qian W, Spiro S, Eisen T, Gower N, Ferry D, Gilligan D, Harper P, Prendiville J, Hocking M and Rudd R. Comparison of gemcitabine and carboplatin versus cisplatin and etoposide for patients with poor-prognosis small cell lung cancer. Thorax (2008) Sep 11 [Epub ahead of print]
- Chaudhray MS, Waters M, and Gilligan D Paraneoplatic limbic encephalitis attributable to thymoma Journal of Thoracic Oncology (2007) 2:879-80
- Treece SJ, Magee L, Gilligan D and Harden SV Adjuvant chemotherapy in non-smallcell lung cancer - how feasible is it in a non-trial population Clinical Oncology (2007) 19:629-30
- Spiro SG, James LE, Rudd RM, Trask CW, Tobias JS, Snee M, Gilligan D, Murray PA, Riuz de Elvira MC, O'Donnell KM, Gower NH, Harper PG, Hackshaw AK,; London Lung Cancer Group Early compared with lete radiotherapy in combined modality treatment for limited disease small cell lung cancer: a London Lung Cancer Group mutlicenter trial and meta-analysis Journal of Clinical Oncology (2006) 24:3823-530
Treatments and tests offered by Dr David Gilligan at Nuffield Health
- Royal College of Radiologists
- British Thoracic Oncology Group
- International Association for Study of Lung Cancer
- Medical Defence Union
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (FRCPE)
- Member of the Cancer Research Institute (CRI) Lung Cancer Studies Group
- Member of the NHS England Lung Cancer Expert Group
- Member of the Steering Committee of the British Thoracic Oncology Group (BTOG)
Other posts held
- Consultant, Addenbrookes NHS Trust Hospital Cambridge and Papworth Hospital Cambridgeshire
Dr David Gilligan does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr David Gilligan does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr David Gilligan does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.