Dr Malkin was trained in Sheffield achieving an honours degree and post-graduate MD. In 2010 he secured a competitive interventional fellowship in the Flinders Medical Centre, South Australia. He was appointed to Leeds Teaching Hospitals as a Consultant Interventional Cardiologist in 2011.
Dr Malkin is one of highest volume operators in the region. His outcomes for coronary intervention are excellent and are published annually on the NHS Choices website. He is comfortable with all adjuvant techniques and particularly favours pressure wire guided coronary intervention to ensure the most effective and safe use of coronary stenting.
He is a key member of the Leeds trans-catheter aortic valve implantation programme and personally performs more then 100 aortic valve interventions a year and participates in major clinical trials of new technologies and training programmes for start up centres.
Dr Malkin set up a referral point for severe hypertension and performed the first renal artery denervation procedures (a treatment for severe hypertension) in West Yorkshire.
He believes in open discussion, informed choice and consent. He takes the time to make the correct diagnosis and ensures his patients receive accurate information to make the appropriate choices for their healthcare.
Dr Malkin specialises in the following treatments, tests and scans at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital:
- Coronary intervention
- Aortic valve implantation
Skiing, wild swimming and cycling
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Christopher Malkin at Nuffield Health
- Coronary Angioplasty (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention or PCI)
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Interventional cardiology
- Transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE)
- Event monitor
Dr Malkin is collaborating in ongoing trials of coronary intervention and new implantable valve technologies. He has published peer-reviewed papers and book chapters within the sphere of interventional cardiology and based on research from his MD thesis.
- Malkin CJ et al. Low serum testosterone and increased mortality in men with coronary heart disease. Heart, 2010 Nov;96(22):1821-5.
- Gunn J, Siotia A, Malkin CJ et al. Novel use of a pericardium-covered stent graft to treat bulky coronary artery thrombus. CCI, 2012;80(1):59-64
- Malkin CJ et al. Balloon Aortic Valvuloplasty to Bridge and Triage patients in the era of Trans-catheter Aortic valve implantation. CCI,2013;81(2):358-63.
- Malkin CJ & the ACACIA investigators. The impact of increased age on outcome from an early invasive strategy in patients with acute coronary syndromes, the ACACIA registry. BMJ open. 2012;16(1):e540
- Malkin CJ et al. Impact of incomplete revascularisation in patients undergoing PCI for unprotected left main stem stenosis. CCI, 2013;81(6):939-46
- Siotia A, Morton AC, Malkin CJ et al. Simultaneous Kissing drug eluting stent to treat unprotected left main bifurcation disease: medium term outcome in 150 consecutive patients. Eurointervention, 2012;8(6):691-700
- Malkin CJ et al. Residual SYNTAX score after PCI for triple vessel coronary artery disease: quantifying the adverse effect of incomplete revascularisation. Eurointervention, 2013;8(11):1286-95
- British Medical Association
- British Cardiac Interventional Society
Other post held
- Consultant Interventional Cardiologist, Leeds General Infirmary
Insurers Dr Christopher Malkin works with
Dr Christopher Malkin works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Freedom Health
Dr Christopher Malkin does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Christopher Malkin does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Christopher Malkin does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.