- Specialities Rheumatology
- Telephone 01743 282505
- Year of first qualification 1984
- GMC Number 3597857
- Fax 01743 247575
Dr Askari has extensive experience in the diagnosis and management of Rheumatic conditions with a solid base in General Medicine . In the past few years he has developed a knowledge base on biological agents such as Anti-TNFs as modern therapies for severe Rheumatoid arthritis, Ankylosing spondylitis and Psoriatic arthritis.
He has training and exposure in many centres, in the field of clinical bone and joint disorders, connective tissue diseases, (SLE, Scleroderma, Sjogren’s), muscle disorders and osteoporosis. Although Rheumatology has currently become an outpatient discipline, there is a scope for inpatient cases where collaboration with internal medicine is important.
Listening, investigating, monitoring and recommending appropriate management are particular skills he has developed over years of interaction with patients and medical staff.
Dr Askari has worked in Scotland, Ireland and in several hospitals in England but the core of his experience was gained as a registrar at King’s College Hospital in London.
He favours the holistic approach to patient management over treating individual medical targets.
- By arrangement
- Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital
- Tutor Keele Medical School
- Inflammatory joint disorders
- Behcet disease
- Hypermobility and chronic pain
- Connective tissue disorder
Yoga, swimming, culture/history
- British Society for Rheumatology
- Royal College of Physicians
- British Medical Association
- Medical Protection Society
Publications include: Pathergy test in Behcet disease, epidurals and back pain, and biological therapies.
Presentations include: Vasculitis presenting as schizophrenia, glucocorticoids and osteoporosis, Cardiovascular risks in Rheumatoid arthritis, Anti-CCP antibody, and complex regional pain syndrome .
Local Principal Investigator for the following studies:
- LOPAS 11 - long term outcome Psoriatic arthritis
- T.cland Gene expression study . This is a commercial French study aiming to discriminate responders from non-responders to anti-TNF therapy /closed.
- ACTION study by Roche . Observational commercial study comparing 2 biological agents Humira vs Roactemra.
CO-Investigator for the following studies
DeclarationDr Ayman Askari works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- AXA PPP Healthcare
Dr Ayman Askari does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Ayman Askari does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Ayman Askari does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.