Dr Andrew Barr is a Rheumatology Consultant at Leeds Teaching Hospital NHS Trust. He studied medicine at London’s Imperial College School of Medicine where he was awarded a number of prizes, including the Wolfson prize for his academic achievements. He subsequently trained in Rheumatology in London and Leeds, at several centres of excellence including Imperial College NHS trust and Chapel Allerton Hospital. He has over a decade of experience in the management of arthritis, complex auto-immune disease, along with soft-tissue and joint injections / aspirations for pain relief.
He was awarded a prestigious national Arthritis Research UK Clinical Research Fellowship to undertake clinical research in arthritis and joint imaging in the Leeds Institute of Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Medicine. He was awarded a PhD by the University of Leeds and published his research and several book chapters on the best (evidence-based) treatments of arthritis including in the Oxford Textbook of Medicine and Nature Reviews. These describe the best treatments for joint pain, of which there are many, without requiring surgery. Dr Barr’s research has included understanding what signs on joint imaging are most associated with pain which may permit more targeted treatments. He was also appointed as a National Institute for Health and Research Academic Clinical Lecturer in the Leeds Institute of Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Medicine.
Today, Dr Barr is a Consultant Rheumatologist in Leeds Teaching Hospital NHS trust with a private practice at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital, he is also an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Leeds. In his clinics Dr Barr would typically see patients with:
- General rheumatology - simple and complex osteoarthritis, gout, pseudogout, chronic joint pain and patients requiring soft-tissue and joint injections
- Urgent rheumatology - including temporal arteritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis / inflammatory arthritis
- Spondyloarthritis - ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, reactive arthritis
- Connective tissue disease - Vasculitis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Sarcoidosis and Sjögren's syndrome
In Dr Barr’s clinical practice he ensures all management plans are tailored to the personal needs and beliefs of each patient. In 2018 Dr Barr was awarded the Leeds Way Champion Award by Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust for his leadership in delivering excellent patient care.
Dr Barr specialises in the following treatments, tests and scans at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital:
- Osteoarthritis and spondylosis
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Connective tissue disease / vasculitis / myositis
- Polymyalgia rheumatica, temporal arteritis
Dr Barr enjoys open water swimming in and around Yorkshire, as well as water polo. He has worked in New Zealand and South Africa. Dr Barr is married with two children.
Treatments and tests offered by Dr Andrew Barr at Nuffield Health
- Rheumatology profiles
- Osteoporosis screen
Dr Barr has published over 20 academic papers in high impact peer-reviewed journals in the fields of Osteoarthritis and Inflammatory Arthritis. He has authored chapters on Osteoarthritis and Inflammatory arthritis in the Oxford Textbook of Medicine (6th Ed), Hochberg’s Rheumatology (7th Ed) and The Rheumatology Handbook (Imperial College Press). He has delivered multiple oral presentations at International Conferences, including at the European League Against Rheumatism.
- Royal College of Physicians
- British Society of Rheumatology
- Group for Research and Assessment of Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis GRAPPA
- UK and Ireland Vasculitis Rare Disease Group
- British Society for Spondyloarthritis
Other post held
- Consultant in Rheumatology – Leeds Teaching Hospital NHS Trust
- Honorary Senior Lecturer – University of Leeds
Insurers Dr Andrew Barr works with
Dr Andrew Barr works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Westfield Health WPA
Dr Andrew Barr does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Dr Andrew Barr does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Dr Andrew Barr does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.