Professor Taylor took a first in medicine from Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge before training as an ophthalmic surgeon at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London. His research training was completed at the MRC Clinical Sciences Centre and he received a PhD from Imperial College London in 2009. He completed his ophthalmology training as a Clinical Lecturer at the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology, working with Prof. C. Stephen Foster of Harvard Medical School at the Massachussetts Eye Research and Surgery Institution (MERSI) and Prof. Sue Lightman of the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology at Moorfields Eye Hospital.
Professor Taylor was accredited onto the Specialist Register as an ophthalmologist in September 2011 and was appointed as Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in the December of that year. He served as Clinical Director of R&D for the Trust from 2014 to 2017 and was appointed joint Clinical Lead for Ophthalmology in 2015. He was also appointed Professor of Ophthalmology by the University of Surrey in 2015 and runs an extensive programme of clinical trials and laboratory research at the University of Surrey and the Royal Surrey County Hospital.
Professor Taylor treats patients with general ophthalmic problems but has a particular interest in diseases of the retina and in surgery for cataract and glaucoma. He has an international reputation in the treatment of retinal and inflammatory ocular diseases and has published over 100 papers and lectured widely on these subjects.
- Routine and complex cataract surgery, including toric and multifocal lenses
- Cataract surgery in the presence of retinal disease or glaucoma, including in patients with low vision
- Retinal disease and its treatment, including macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and retinal vein occlusion
- Glaucoma surgery, including microincisional glaucoma surgery, stents, laser, trabeculectomy and tube surgery
- Uveitis (both anterior and posterior segment disease in adults and children)
Co-Editor, Open Ophthalmology Journal
Associate Editor, BMC Ophthalmology
Editorial Board Member, British Journal of Hospital Medicine
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Simon Taylor at Nuffield Health
- Cataract Surgery
Professor Taylor’s department runs an active clinical research programme looking at novel treatments of medical retinal and ocular inflammatory disease, as well as a basic science research programme investigating the mechanisms underlying ocular inflammation and systemic vasculitis.
- Fellow Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Fellow, Academy of Medical Educators
- Fellow, Royal Society of Biology
- Member, American Uveitis Society
- Member, British Society of Immunology
Other posts held
- Royal Surrey County Hospital
- University of Surrey
Insurers Professor Simon Taylor works with
Professor Simon Taylor works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Professor Simon Taylor does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Simon Taylor does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Simon Taylor does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.