Undergraduate Medical School Training:
Professor Shergill qualified from Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School in 1997. During his medical student training, he carried out one of year full-time research leading to a 1st Class BSc (Honours) degree from the University of London. The results were presented as posters at national and international meetings. He also received academic distinctions by obtaining The Medical Research Council (MRC) Intercalated Course Award and The Nuffield Foundation Undergraduate Research Bursary.
Postgraduate Surgical Training:
Professor Shergill completed Basic Surgical Training on the respected Oxford Rotation working at prestigious hospitals such as the Radcliffe Infirmary, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre and The John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford (1998 to 2000). He was one of the first candidates to sit and successfully pass the new MRCS examination in 2000.
Postgraduate Urological Research:
Professor Shergill has established The North Wales and North West Urological Research Centre (https://www.nw2urc.com/) in conjunction with Professor Stephen Fon Hughes. This is a clinical collaboration between hospitals in North Wales and North West England and research institutions in the region also. NW2URC have registered several research projects for clinical research fellows to attain PhD and Masters degrees. The studies are potentially ground-breaking, assessing novel biomarker profiles to predict post-operative complications, clinical outcomes and to predict cancer recurrence and progression.
- HOLEP (Laser prostatectomy), Urolift, Rezum
- Prostate Mapping (Transperineal Template Biopsies)
- Focal Therapy HIFU and Cryotherapy for Prostate Cancer
- LUTS/BPH diagnosis and treatment
- Men’s Health Assessment clinic
- Urological Emergencies
- Kidney stone diagnosis and treatment
- Laser surgery for kidney stones and prostate disorders
- All upper and lower urinary tract endourology treatments
- All inguinoscrotal surgery including circumcision, frenuoplasty, hydrocoele repair, epididiymal cysts excision, varicocoele treatment as well as surgical treatment of suspected testicular cancer
- Flora London Marathon raising £1700 for charity
- BUPA Great South Run Portsmouth
- Flora London Half Marathon
- Playing football, badminton and cricket.
- Performing and teaching Tabla (Indian drums)
- Passionately supporting Liverpool Football Club
English, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Iqbal Shergill at Nuffield Health
- Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP)
- Prostate surgery
- Prostate screening
- Endoscopic kidney stone treatment
Professor Shergill has edited 5 teaching textbooks, published over 75 papers in peer reviewed clinical and basic science journals, as well as several book chapters, and many podium and poster presentations at national and international meetings.
Postgraduate Research into Prostate Cancer:
Between 2002 and 2004 Professor Shergill undertook a period of full-time research in patients undergoing Radical Prostatectomy surgery for prostate cancer at the Institute of Urology, University of London.
The project design and retrieval of archival radical prostatectomy specimens required close liaison with urologists, pathologists and basic scientists, and highlighted Professor Shergill's ethos of multi-disciplinary team-working. During this research period, he used one of the most innovative and recently developed techniques in molecular pathology - The Tissue Microarray - and was, at that time, one of the only clinician scientists in the UK who was using and developing Tissue Microarray techniques.
Current Research Interests:
Professor Shergill is currently carrying out research in the following fields
- LUTS/BPH Clinical Research
- Endourology& Stone Management techniques
- Simulation training in urology and medical education
He also runs several national and international practical skill courses for junior trainees, as well as career advice courses for medical students and junior doctors.
- British Medical Association
- British Association of Urological Surgeons
- American Urological Association
- European Association of Urology
- Endourology Society / Royal College of Surgeons of England
Other post held
- Consultant Urological Surgeon, Nuffield Health The Grosvenor Hospital, Chester
- Consultant Urological Surgeon, Wrexham Maelor Hospital NHS Trust
- Consultant Urological Surgeon, Mold Community Hospital and Chirk Community Hospital
Insurers Professor Iqbal Shergill works with
Professor Iqbal Shergill works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Professor Iqbal Shergill does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Iqbal Shergill does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Iqbal Shergill does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.