Professor Charles Claoué is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital.
After graduating from the University of Cambridge, Professor Claoué was a Wellcome Trust Research Fellow at Bristol Eye Hospital and later trained Moorfields Eye Hospital where he undertook two fellowships. He was awarded the Kritzinger Safari Memorial Medal Lecturer Prize in 2003.
Professor Claoué is Honorary Clinical Lecturer at QMC University of London, and has other formal academic links. He travels all over the world to deliver lectures on advanced IOL technology. He has also produced over 80 publications on medicine and ophthalmology.
Professor Claoué has been a consultant at the Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital since 1995. He has a broad skill base and extensive experience in all areas of eye disease, and has made many contributions to the quality and progression of ophthalmology in this country and abroad. He is a member of the prestigious International Intraocular Implant Society, and a Council Member of United Kingdom & Ireland Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons (UKISCRS).
Professor Claoué was awarded the International Academy for Advances in Ophthalmology Distinguished Services to Ophthalmology Gold Medal 2010.
- Cataract and advanced cataract surgery including including toric and multifocal lens (IOLs)
- Refractive surgery including LASIK and PTK and surgery for presbyopia
- Intraocular lenses (IOLs) for age-related macular degeneration (ARMD)
- Viral eye disease
- Corneal surgery
- Corneal Disease
- Corneal Transplantation
- Small-incision cataract surgery
- External eye disease
- Dry eye
- Blindness and partial sight especially in children
- Presbyopia surgery
Part-time farming, family history, fine wines and cognac.
Member of Henley Royal Regatta
Liveryman Guardant of the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries
Triumph Sports Six Club.
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Charles Claoué at Nuffield Health
- Eye lift
- Fluorescein angiography
- Drooping eyelids (Ptosis correction)
- Cataract Surgery
- European Society of Caratact and Refractive Surgeons
- American Society of Caratact and Refractive Surgeons
- United Kingdom and Ireland Society of Caratact and Refractive Surgeons
- British Society of Refractive Surgery
- Academy of Experts
- Founding Vice-President, Vice-President Elect, International Society of Bilateral Cataract Surgeons (iSBCS)
Other post held
- Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, Clinical Lead for Organ Donation, The Queen's University Hospital, London
- Honorary Consultant, Department of Ophthalmology, Academic University of Pretoria
- Honorary Lecturer in Clinical Ophthalmology, University of London
- Recognised Teacher, University of Ulster
Insurers Professor Charles Claoué works with
Professor Charles Claoué works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Professor Charles Claoué does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Charles Claoué does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Charles Claoué does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.