Professor Powell graduated from Trinity College, Dublin, in 1978 and completed his early training in Dublin and then moved to England to embark on his Plastic Surgery career. He started in Queen Mary's Hospital, Roehampton, and then carried out the senior part of his training in Frenchay Hospital, Bristol and The Royal Marsden Hospital, Fulham Road.
Professor Powell spent two years researching possible treatment strategies for malignant melanoma at the Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton. During this time he was awarded the Higher Degree of Master in Surgery (MCh) for this work. Further to this he also introduced the concept of Sentinel Node Biopsy for malignant melanoma into the UK.
In 1994 Professor Powell was appointed Consultant to St. George's Hospital, Tooting and Queen Mary's Hospital, Roehampton. Initially he had a joint appointment on both sites until the closure of the Plastic Surgery Unit at Queen Mary's Hospital.
Professor Powell specialises in a range of cosmetic treatments including:
In the subsequent years, following his appointment, Mr Powell have achieved the following:
- Established the first Skin Bank in the United Kingdom (Stephen Kirby Skin Bank)
- Established the largest Melanoma Unit in the United Kingdom (St.George's Hospital)
- Become National Clinical Lead for Skin Cancer
- On the Board of the Inter Collegiate Board of Plastic Surgery Examiners Editorial Advisory Board of the Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery (2002-2005)
- Member of the UK Melanoma Study Group
- Member of the UK Skin Cancer Working Party
- Assessor for the Consultant Advisory Panel for The Royal College of Surgeons, England
- Member of the Cancer Service Committee for The Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Member of the National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI) Melanoma Group.
Mr Powell was made Professor in 2010.
Professor Powell is a Plastic Surgeon with a major interest in melanoma and other forms of skin cancer. He offers a mole skin screening service which does not require a referral. He is also a surgeon with interest in cosmetic surgery.
All forms of skin cancer
Professor Powell has developed an expertise in the management of melanoma and non melanoma skin cancer over the last 25 years. His department at St George's sees approximately 300 new melanoma cases per year and he works closely with colleagues in Dermatology, Radiotherapy, Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, Pathology and Oncology. He has also put in place protocols for the management of patients with skin cancers. Professor Powell maintains a major interest in Cosmetic Surgery, he is an active member of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS), Member of the British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Anaesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS) and regularly attends update meetings. His particular interests are Breast Augmentation and Reduction, Abdominoplasty, Liposuction and Face Lifts.
Professor Powell was a Burns Consultant at the Queen Mary's Hospital Roehampton for five years, until its closure. Since then he has maintained an interest in major paediatric (children) burns which were managed at St George's Hospital, Tooting. Due to Government recommendations about the sitting of major burns these have now relocated to The Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. Through his burns interest he has also developed a major interest in the management of all forms of wounds and work closely with nursing staff, district nurses and tissue viability nurses to manage these successfully.
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Barry Powell at Nuffield Health
- Mole removal
- Breast uplift (mastopexy)
- Facelift (Rhytidectomy)
- Ear pinning cosmetic surgery (Pinnaplasty)
- Breast reconstruction
- Gynaecomastia (male breast reduction)
- Breast augmentation (enlargement)
- Mole assessment
- Excision of skin lesion
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Reshaping)
- Rhinoplasty (or nose reshaping)
- Skin cancer surgery
- Breast reduction
- Tummy tuck (Abdominoplasty)
- British Association of Plastic Reconstructive Aesthetic Surgeons
- British Association of Aesthetic Surgeons
- British Medical Association
- Medical Defence Union
- British Burns Association
- European Organisation for the Research
- Treatment of Cancer Melanoma Group
- Royal College of Surgeons (England & Edinburgh)
Other post held
- National Clinical Advisor for Skin Cancer
- Nuffield Health Guildford Hospital
- Royal Surrey County Hospital
- St George's University Healthcare Trust
Insurers Professor Barry Powell works with
Professor Barry Powell works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
Professor Barry Powell has the following interest in this hospital/ another Nuffield Health hospital or the company:
Mr Powell has has indicated that he has invested in the Nuffield Health Bond marketed in 2013.
Professor Barry Powell does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Barry Powell does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.