Professor Ala is a Consultant Physician since 2005 and is Lead Clinician at the Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Royal Surrey County Hospital. He is Professor of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at University of Surrey, Guildford and Professor of Hepatology at Institute of Liver Studies at Kings College Hospital, London. He qualified from Charing Cross & Westminster (Imperial College Medical School), London in 1992.
He trained in specialist Gastroenterology and Hepatology at King's and Royal Free Hospitals London, before being awarded an Advanced Hepatology Fellowship at Mount Sinai Hospital New York, USA 2003-4 with a focus on rare liver diseases and liver/bowel transplantation. He was awarded a PhD from University College, London winning a Wellcome Trust Research Training fellowship in immune and inflammatory mechanisms linking liver and gut disease.
He is qualified to perform a wide range of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures in endoscopy, colonoscopy and fibroscan. His recognized expertise is in the diagnosis, treatment and management of gastroenterology, liver and pancreatobiliary disease(HPB) and cancer. The Royal Surrey is one of the National HPB and Hepatology centres. Collectively, Professor Ala has written or contributed to over 100 peer reviewed international publications and oral presentations.
- Internal Medicine
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Aftab Ala at Nuffield Health
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Gastrointestinal tract
Professor Ala is Chair of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at University of Surrey and Professor of Hepatology at Institute of Liver Studies at Kings College Hospital, London. He is Principal and Chief investigator in national and multicenter international clinical trials and research related to (i)liver disease including hepatitis, fatty, autoimmune and rare diseases (ii)gastrointestinal inflammation and (iii)liver cancer. His research is funded by the National Institute for Health and Research (NIHR). He actively supervises clinical research fellows on the MD/PhD Research Programme in Clinical and Experimental Medicine related to Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the University of Surrey with established international collaborative links to key Europe and North American Medical Centres
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, London
- British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG)
- British Association for the Study of the Liver(BASL)
- Special interest Group(SIG) Wilson's Disease of BASL
- American Association for the Study of the Liver(AASLD)
- European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL)
Other post held
- Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Clinical Director and Clinical Lead Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- National Institute for Health & Research Lead Hepatology (Kent, Surrey, Sussex Network) Professor of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, University of Surrey
- Kings College Hospital, Professor of Hepatology at Institute of Liver Studies at Kings College Hospital, London
Professor Aftab Ala does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Aftab Ala does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Aftab Ala does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.