Mrs Matey completed her education at Autonoma University, Madrid, Spain.
She has been an Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon at the Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust since January 2001. The breast unit in this trust diagnoses more than 300 new breast cancers each year with more than 100 major breast reconstruction procedures being undertaken on an annual basis. These are mainly mastectomy procedures but also include breast conservation surgery for breast cancer.
Mrs Matey is the lead for breast reconstruction and she is very proud of the excellent clinical outcomes achieved locally. She keeps close links to the University Hospital Birmingham and National Oncoplastic Trainees work across both sides which result in outstanding preparation for future consultants in this field.
Breast cancer and breast reconstruction surgery
Treatments and tests offered by Mrs Pilar Matey at Nuffield Health
- Mastectomy (breast removal)
- “Mammography as a diagnostic tool in women aged 35 – 39 presenting to the symptomatic breast clinic” Poster at the RCR Breast Group meeting, Glasgow (RC Radiolosits), Nov 2011. J Long, CE Richardson, J Barratt, C Deacon, P Matey
- “Patient satisfaction in Nipple Sparing Skin Reducing Mastectomies” J Long, CE Richardson, P Matey. Poster at ORBS International Meeting, Nottingham, September 2011
- “Obese women should not be denied immediate breast reconstruction or breast remodelling procedures purely due to high body mass index” CE Richardson, P Matey. Poster at ORBS International Meeting Nottingham, September 2011
- “Porcine acellular dermal matrix and implant-based immediate breast reconstruction can be offered to women who present as clinically challenging cases” CE Richardson, P Matey. Poster at ORBS International Meeting, Nottingham, September 2011
- “Therapeutic mammoplasty is acceptable to women with a diagnosis of primary breast carcinoma” CE Richardson, P Matey. Poster at ORBS International Meeting, Nottingham, September 2011
- British Medical Association
- British Association Surgical Oncology
- Association Breast Surgeons
- Medical Defence Union
Other post held
- Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon, New Cross Hospital
Insurers Mrs Pilar Matey works with
Mrs Pilar Matey works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mrs Pilar Matey does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mrs Pilar Matey does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mrs Pilar Matey does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.