Mr Rao received extensive training in both benign upper GI and cancer surgery in Yorkshire leading to the award of CCT in 2012. He has also been trained in weight loss surgery . He has an active interest in laparoscopic surgery including hernias and gall bladder surgery.
Mr Rao has a breadth of experience in dealing with emergency conditions of the gastrointestinal tract and trauma. He is also trained in treating complex reflux disease and functional disorders such as achalasia. After completing higher surgical training in Yorkshire, Mr Rao was appointed as Consultant Upper GI/Bariatric surgeon at UHNM in 2013. Mr Rao believes passionately in patient safety as is reflected in his practice.
Mr Rao enjoys listening to music, spending time with family and an occasional jaunt to exotic places.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Vittal Rao at Nuffield Health
- Diagnostic endoscopy
- Gastric bypass
- Gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy (or gastroscopy)
- Hernia repair
- Ingrown toenail (and ingrown toenail surgery)
- Laparoscopic anti reflux surgery
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic incisional hernia
- Obesity surgery (or weightloss surgery)
- Weight loss surgery
Mr Rao completed his MD in the University of Hull. He has continued his research activity which resulted in numerous presentations in national and international conferences along with publications in reputed peer reviewed journals.
- Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons
- British Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society
- Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
- British Medical Association
Other post held
- Consultant Upper GI/Bariatric Surgeon
- Clinical Lead, Department of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery, UHNM
- Hon. Clinical Lecturer, Keele University
Insurers Mr Vittal Rao works with
Mr Vittal Rao works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- AXA PPP Healthcare
Mr Vittal Rao does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Vittal Rao does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Vittal Rao does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.