Mr Sunil Kumar is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital. He specialises in sports injuries and general orthopaedic surgery. His special interest is in arthroscopic knee surgery and knee replacement surgery. He works with surgeons around the country in the area of cartillage transplantation (ACI/ MACI).
Mr Kumar qualified in 1989 from London Medical College and then trained at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital. This was followed by a fellowship in New Zealand and Australia for knee and sports trauma.
Within his specialised field, Mr Kumar has developed various rapid rehabilitation programmes for traumatic osteochondial lesions requiring repair cartilage transplantation, posterior and anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction along with multi-ligament stabilisation.
I recently had a total knee replacement at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital with Mr Kumar. At the age of 90 years, I am now still enjoying shopping and gardening.
The operation went very well as I had total faith in Mr Kumar. I had no pain afterwards and my scarring healed well.
I found the treatment from the nursing staff was excellent and the facilities at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital were superb.
Message to anyone considering a total knee replacement – “Have faith in your Consultant and do the physio given to you”.
I had an operation at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital in March 2014. I found the staff and ward staff excellent, attentive and caring. I was treated as a person and not a number. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the Nurses, Doctors, Receptionists – well everyone. My treatment was excellent. Mr Kumar was very positive that the pain with my knee could be eased, and this has been proved.
He was very confident and explained the procedure from start to finish. The procedure has improved my quality of life because the discomfort has been eased considerably. It was disturbing my sleep, and being very unstable I had worry about the knee giving way, which it had on many occasions. I have had various treatments at Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital in the past. Given a choice, Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital would always be my first choice.
- All aspects of knee surgery including minimally invasive partial and total knee replacements
- Custom knee replacements
- Cruciate ligament surgery reconstruction
- Cartilage surgery
- Sports injuries
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Sunil Kumar at Nuffield Health
- Bunion surgery (bunionectomy)
- Cartilage reconstruction
- Forefoot reconstructive surgery
- Knee arthroscopy surgery
- Knee replacement surgery
- Hip arthroscopy
- Knee replacement revision
- Knee surgery (ACL repair)
- Tibial osteotomy
- Hallux Valgus Surgery
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Matrix-induced chondrocyte implantation (MACI)
- PCL reconstruction
- Tendon problems
- Tennis elbow release
- Trigger Point Injections
- Ankle arthroscopy
- Achilles repair or reconstruction
- Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
Member of a research group investigating cartillage transplantation.
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee
- British Orthopaedic Sports and Trauma Society
- European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy
- British Medical Association
- Royal College of Surgeons
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Medicine
Other post held
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Barking, Havering Redbridge Hospitals NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Sunil Kumar works with
Mr Sunil Kumar works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Sunil Kumar does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Sunil Kumar does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Sunil Kumar does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.