Following undergraduate studies at Cambridge University, he undertook specialist surgical training at Guy's and St. Thomas's Hospitals, the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (Stanmore) and Hospital for Special Surgery (New York). He commenced his current post in 2014.
His approach is centred around a firm belief that effective, empathetic communication with patients before surgery is key to both early recovery, and long-term success.
He has contributed book chapters on orthopaedics, trauma and medical law to volumes published by Oxford University Press, and has himself published 3 textbooks. He also holds Master’s degrees in Medical Law and Orthopaedic Science. He frequently acts as an expert witness in litigation cases.
- First time and revision (redo) hip and knee replacement
- Partial knee replacement (unicompartmental and patellofemoral)
- Knee arthroscopy (keyhole surgery)
- Accelerated recovery following orthopaedic surgery
- Medical law
Mr Dawson-Bowling is married with two young children and lives in Hove. His favourite pastimes outside work centre largely around spending time with his family, often along Brighton seafront.
A former Cambridge University and GB oarsman, he also continues to maintain an active interest in exercise and training. In addition to this he has a keen interest in classical music, and enjoys singing, playing the harpsichord and conducting. In 2001 he founded his own baroque orchestra in London.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Sebastian Dawson-Bowling at Nuffield Health
- Knee replacement revision
- Knee replacement
- Hip revision
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Meniscectomy for meniscus tear
- Hip replacement
- Bone Graft
- Achilles repair or reconstruction
- Joint resurfacing
- Trauma Surgery
- Image guided joint injections
Mr Dawson-Bowling maintains an active interest in both clinical research and publishing. He completed an MSc degree based on his laboratory research into uncemented hip resurfacing implants. He has presented his work at over 30 national and international meetings, and has 13 publications in peer-reviewed journals.
His current clinical research interests include the development of accelerated recovery pathways for patients undergoing joint replacement surgery. In April 2014 he was the lead author on a paper in the journal Hip International entitled ‘A multidisciplinary enhanced recovery programme allows discharge within 2 days of total hip replacement; three- to five-year results of 100 patients’.
He has contributed book chapters on orthopaedics, trauma and medical law to various volumes published by Oxford University Press and PasTest publishing. In addition, he has himself produced 3 orthopaedic textbooks as lead author/lead editor:
- Dawson-Bowling S., McNamara I., Ollivere B., Orthopaedic Basic and Clinical Science for the Postgraduate Examination: Diagrams and Vivas, ORUK publishing, August 2014
- Eds. Dawson-Bowling S., Achan P., Ramachandran M., Briggs T., Orthopaedic Trauma - the Stanmore and Royal London Guide, publisher Taylor and Francis, September 2014
- Dawson-Bowling S., McNamara I., Ollivere B., Orthopaedic Basic Science for the Postgraduate Examination: Practice MCQs and EMQs, ORUK publishing, 2012
- Royal College of Surgeons
- Royal Society of Medicine
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Hip Society
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee
Other post held
- Royal London Hospital
- Newham University Hospital
- Barts Health NHS Trust
Insurers Mr Sebastian Dawson-Bowling works with
Mr Sebastian Dawson-Bowling works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Sebastian Dawson-Bowling does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Sebastian Dawson-Bowling does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Sebastian Dawson-Bowling does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.