Mr Santosh Venkatachalam
MBBS, MS (Orth) , DNB (Orth) , FRCS (Orth)
GMC number: 6041252
Practicing since: 1999
Or call us on
Mr Venkatachalam specialises in upper limb conditions/problems (shoulder, elbow, wrist and hands).
He graduated in medicine in 1993 and finished his basic surgical training in the southeast region. He was selected for higher specialist orthopaedic training in the northeast region before becoming a specialist consultant in shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand problems.
He was awarded fellowships at two prestigious upper limb specialist units at Wrightington hospital, Manchester and Northern General Hospital, Sheffield for a year. He has also been awarded visiting fellowships from National organisations like the British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS), and the British Orthopaedic Sports Trauma Arthroscopy Association (BOSTAA).
He has visited and interacted with internationally renowned shoulder keyhole surgeons and shoulder joint replacement surgeons in San Antonio (Texas), San Diego ( California) USA and Lyon and Nice in France through these fellowships.
He is actively involved in research, presented at various national and international conferences and has several works published on the management of clavicle fractures and hand fractures. In addition, he is involved in education as a facilitator of learning to junior medical students, foundation doctors, registrars/ staff and authoring elements of the undergraduate orthopaedic curriculum for medical students and chapters in various textbooks.
He is also a faculty at various regional/national courses for FRCS orthopaedics exam preparation, shoulder arthroscopy and shoulder arthroplasty courses.
- Shoulder problems: impingement, rotator cuff tears, stiffness, instability, arthritis
- Elbow problems: cubital tunnel syndrome, stiffness, tennis/ golfers elbow, arthritis
- Wrist/ Hand problems: Rheumatoid arthritis hand, Carpal tunnel syndrome, Dupuytren's contracture, Trigger fingers, ganglions, DeQuiverans tenosynovitis, base of thumb arthritis, small joint arthritis
- Upper limb trauma and post-fracture sequelae
- Sports-related upper limb injuries
Special interests in sports medicine with problems of the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand.
In his spare time, he enjoys spending time with his family, plays badminton and loves travelling.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Santosh Venkatachalam at Nuffield Health
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Local anaesthetic
- Shoulder Manipulation
- Dupuytren's fasciectomy
- Shoulder and MSK ultrasound
- Hand surgery
- Trigger Point Injections
- Elbow surgery
- Trauma reconstruction
- Cubital tunnel release
- Blood test
- Shoulder surgery (rotator cuff repair)
- Rheumatology profiles
- Shoulder decompression - keyhole surgery
- CT scan (or CAT scan)
- Osteoporosis screen
- Shoulder Stabilisation
- Nerve blocks
- Tennis elbow release
- MRI scan
- Trauma Surgery
Locations Mr Santosh Venkatachalam works with
1. Plating Of Fresh Displaced Midshaft Clavicular Fractures. Mr S Venkatachalam, Mr C Sivaji, Miss Allison Shipton, Mr G Packer. Internet journal of Orthopaedic surgery, 2007,Vol 4 number 3.
2. Anterior versus Superior plating of midshaft clavicular fractures Mr S Venkatachalam, Mr C Sivaji, Miss Allison Shipton, Mr G Packer. J.Orthopaedics 2007;4(4)e1
3. Traumatic fracture-dislocation of the hip following rugby tackle: a case report. Mr S Venkatachalam, Mr N Heidari, Mr T Greer. Sports Med Arthrosc Rehabil Ther Technol. 2009; 1: 28
4. Results of locked flexible intramedullary nailing of metacarpal fractures: a case series. Mr S Venkatachalam, Mr J Harrison. Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg, 2011
5. Spontaneous bilateral distal ulna fracture: an unusual complication in a rheumatoid patient. S Venkatachalam, P Dixon. J Orthop Traumatol. 2011 Jun;12(2).
6. Results of Patch testing with Dental materials. S Venkatachalam, R Ponnusway, S Shenoy, V Sachin, C Balachandran. Contact Dermatitis 1999 Jan;40(1):5-1.
7. Fatal Pulmonary embolism following conservatively treated Achilles tendon rupture. Mr S Venkatachalam, Mr K U Wright. International journal of surgery case reports 2012.
8. Treatment of chronic anterior locked glenohumeral dislocation with hemiarthroplasty. Mr S Venkatachalam, Dr A Nicolas, Mr R Liow. Shoulder and elbow, 2014 ( published online Feb 2014 ahead of print).
Book Chapters authored:
1. Orthopaedic Surgical approaches. Postgraduate Orthopaedics 2nd edition. Mr S Venkatachalam, Mr J Loughead
2. Hand viva chapter. Postgraduate Orthopaedics viva 1st edition Mr S Venkatachalam, Mr J Harrison
3. ABC of soft tissue disorders of the elbow. Mr S Venkatachalam, Mr D Stanley (submitted for publication)
- British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society (BESS)
- British Orthopaedic Sports Trauma and Arthroscopy Asscociation (BOSTAA)
- Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
Other posts held
- Consultant Upper limb Orthopaedic Surgeon at Northumbria Healthcare
Insurers Mr Santosh Venkatachalam works with
Mr Santosh Venkatachalam works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Bupa On Demand
Mr Santosh Venkatachalam does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Santosh Venkatachalam does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Santosh Venkatachalam does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.