- Specialities Body Contouring, Cosmetic Breast Surgery, Paediatric Surgery
- Telephone 01926 436341 (Secretary)
- Year of first qualification 1972
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
English, French and Spanish
- GMC Number 1545391
- Website http://www.richardmatthewsplasticsurgeon.co.uk
- Fax 01926 422 659
Mr Richard Matthews is a highly experienced Consultant Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgeon.
He became fully accredited in Plastic Surgery, including Cosmetic and Reconstructive aspects, in 1984, was European Travelling Scholar of The British Association of Plastic Surgeons (now called BAPRAS) in 1985 and was appointed Consultant Plastic Surgeon in the National Health Service for Coventry and Warwickshire (catchment 1 million) in 1986.
From 1986 to 2006, as Head of the unit, he effected its transfer to the new University Hospital for Coventry and Warwickshire and radically modernised and expanded the unit, introducing modern techniques and services for congenital abnormalities such as cleft lip and palate and abnormal hands, for soft tissue diseases of the hand, such as Dupuytren’s contracture, for breast reconstruction and head and neck reconstruction in cancer cases, including microsurgical procedures. He worked hard to improve standards of care for skin cancer. He served for four years as first Chair of the Skin Cancer Site Specific Group of the Arden Cancer Network.
Mr Matthews has been West Midlands Regional Chair for Burns and Plastic Surgery and Regional Specialty Advisor to the Royal College of Surgeons of England and has served variously as Clinical and Medical Director within the NHS.
In his private practice, extending over 30 years, Mr Matthews treated a large number of patients with problems of a cosmetic nature as well as various reconstructive requirements, hand disease and skin cancer, achieving a reputation for excellence based on his attention to detail, favourable outcomes and sensitivity.
Mr Matthews no longer performs any surgery but continues to carry out Non-Surgical Cosmetic Procedures, including:
• Obagi Blue Peel (15% and 20% chemical peel)
Mr Matthews also continues with his Medicolegal Practice for:
• Clinical Negligence
All appointments and correspondence through Sally, Mr Matthews' Secretary, on Sally.Bates@nuffieldhealth.com or 01926 436 341.
Mr Matthews carries appropriate indemnity for Non-Surgical Cosmetic Procedures and for his Medicolegal Practice.
- Honorary Consultant Plastic Surgeon, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust
- Consultant Cosmetic Surgeon, Nuffield Health Warwickshire Hospital and other local venues
As a Member (and former Council Member and Chair of its Education & Research Subcommittee ) of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS), Mr Matthews keeps up to date, introducing change when appropriate and safe.
His practice is very ‘hands on’, all consultations, procedures, whether surgical or non-surgical (such as fillers, etc), and follow-ups being carried out personally. When stitches need removing or dressings are required, Mr Matthews generally does this himself in order to monitor progress and recovery from the earliest moments onwards. Most of all, Mr Matthews takes great pride in his work, striving to provide satisfaction in all cases.
- The Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons Indemnity Scheme
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Medical Association
- British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons
- British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- British Burn Association
- British Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Rugby District Medical Society
- UK Register of Expert Witnesses
DeclarationMr Richard Matthews works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
Mr Richard Matthews does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Richard Matthews does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Richard Matthews does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.