Mr Rahim Hussain
MBBS, MRCS - Glasgow, FRCS (SN)
GMC number: 5190991
Or call us on
An experienced neurosurgeon (brain) and spinal surgeon Mr. Hussain was trained in diverse healthcare systems over three continents with over 28-years of experience in both adult and paediatric neurosurgery. He has an extensive skill mix working in the NHS for over 17 years with expertise in a wide variety of brain to spinal diseases/problems.Originally from South India, Mr Hussain speaks fluent Telugu in addition to Hindi, Urdu and English.
Mr Hussain has worked in some of the UK's top teaching hospitals with eminent neurosurgeons and experts in their respective fields. He joined the NHS in 2005 as a Senior Clinical Fellow in Neurosurgery at Royal Free Hospital, London, before moving on to complete his Spinal fellowship at the Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Liverpool. He also has worked in Swansea and University of Hospital Wales, Cardiff and has been involved in teaching, supervision, and training of neurosurgical trainees around the UK.
Mr Hussain is currently working as a Consultant Neurosurgeon and Spinal Surgeon at University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS trust (UHCW) and he has been in this post for over 6 years. Recently his service was formally recognized, having been awarded the World Class Colleague Award for 2021, and nominated for Out Standing Service and Care Awards(OSCA) for his exemplary clinical and professional skills.
Outside of his consultancy work Mr Hussain is an experienced teacher, accredited by the GMC as a trainer and a faculty member at the University of Warwick Medical School. At UHCW he is the Departmental Lead for Morbidity and Mortality, and has lead a project looking at systemic change in root cause analysis and human factors affecting patient care. He has worked with the trust to improve and co-create tailor-made patient experiences in healthcare setting.
- Brain aneurysm and other cerebrovascular disorders
- Brain tumours
- CSF related disorders - Idiopathic Adult Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus (idiopathic NPH), benign (idiopathic) intracranial hypertension (BIH/IIH), Chiari Malformation with/without Syringomyelia, Adult chronic arrested hydrocephalus
- Head injury and after-care management
- Lower Back pain including Epidural injection, Facet joint injections, Nerve root blocks
- Lumbar canal stenosis – Decompressive Laminectomy
- Lumbar discectomy for Sciatica and Foot drop
- Cauda Equina Syndrome
- Neck pain and disorders - cervical foraminotomy, anterior cervical discectomy and fusion for radiculopathy & spondylosis
- Peripheral Nerve Disorders and Entrapments - Carpal tunnel syndrome & Ulnar nerve entrapment
- Occipital neuralgia – Occipital nerve blocks.
- Spinal surgery
- Spinal (intradural & extradural) tumours.
Telugu, Hindi, Urdu, English
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Rahim Hussain at Nuffield Health
- Spinal (lumbar) Decompression
- Cervical Spine Surgery
Locations Mr Rahim Hussain works with
- Fellow of Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow FRCS (SN)
- Faculty in the University of Warwick Medical School
- Member of Society for Research in Hydrocephalus and Spina Bifida
- Member of Society of British Neurological Surgeons (SBNS)
- Full member of World Spine Column Society
- Member of World Hydrocephalus Society
- Member of British Medical Association (BMA)
- GMC Accredited Trainer in Neurosurgery
Other posts held
- Consultant Neurosurgeon and Spinal surgeon at University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS trust (UHCW)
- Faculty of University of Warwick Medical School
Mr Rahim Hussain does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Rahim Hussain does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Rahim Hussain does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.