Peter Chong trained in surgery in Glasgow and Edinburgh, before being awarded a RCPSG Travelling Fellowship to the Sloane-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. As a consultant, he has established a broad general and colorectal surgical practice over the last ten years, first in the Western Infirmary and Gartnavel General Hospital, and now as part of the regional service for complex colorectal cancers and soft tissue sarcoma at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.
Peter has always maintained an interest in general and laparoscopic (key-hole) surgery such as hernia and gallbladder surgery. He is experienced in endoscopy (telescope examinations) of both the upper and lower gastrointestinal tracts, and performs bowel screening colonoscopy with removal of large colonic polyps using these techniques.
He has extensive experience in the investigation, diagnosis and treatment of benign and malignant soft tissue conditions such as lipoma (a benign growth of fat cells) and sarcoma (an unusual cancer of cells that connect or support other tissue e.g. fat, muscle, tendons and nerves).
- Weekly Tuesday pm
- Weekly Friday evening
- Consultant General and Colorectal Surgeon, Glasgow Royal Infirmary
- Consultant Surgeon, Soft Tissue Sarcoma Service, Glasgow Royal Infirmary
- Gallbladder removal by laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Hernia repair, including laparoscopic hernia repair
- Investigation and removal of soft tissue lumps / masses
- Haemorrhoids, fissures, fistulas, inflammatory bowel disease
- Endoscopy and colonoscopy for investigation of rectal bleeding and altered bowel habit, and removal of polyps
- Colorectal cancer, sarcoma, neuroendocrine tumours
- Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of Surgeons Great Britain and Ireland
- Scottish Sarcoma Network and British Sarcoma Group
1. Early versus delayed laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. T Siddiqui, A MacDonald, P S Chong, J T Jenkins. Am J Surg. 195(1):40-47, 2008
2. Hemorrhoids and Fissure in Ano. P S Chong, D C C Bartolo. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 37(3):627-644, 2008
3. Surgical options in the management of advanced and recurrent colorectal cancer. P S Chong, I G Finlay. Surg Oncol. 16(1):25-31, 2007
4. Hernias are the most common cause of strangulation in patients presenting with small bowel obstruction. U Ihedioha, A Alani, P Modak, P S Chong, P J O’Dwyer. Hernia. 10(4):338-340, 2006
DeclarationMr Peter Chong works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
Mr Peter Chong does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Peter Chong does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Peter Chong does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.