Mr Priest qualified at the University of Manchester in 1996. He completed his specialist training in London and then undertook a dedicated surgical oncology fellowship with Professor Hanna at St Mary’s Hospital in 2010. He was first appointed to a consultant post at the Royal Surrey County Hospital in 2011.
He developed advanced laparoscopic skills for complex upper gastrointestinal surgery at the MATTU centre of excellence and learnt how to perform laparoscopic hernia surgery using the TEP technique. Mr Priest went on to work with Professor Griffin at Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals in the largest oesophagogastric unit in Europe, gaining further experience in all aspects of upper gastrointestinal surgery.
He moved to a permanent position at the University Hospitals North Midlands in 2015 and has settled in Staffordshire with his wife and two young boys.
Mr Priest has expertise in a variety of general surgical conditions including gallstones, reflux disease, dyspepsia, oesophageal motility disorders and all types of abdominal wall hernia. He is committed to providing the best possible standard of expert care in a safe and comfortable environment. Mr Priest always uses a patient-centred approach to discuss available treatment options and offers surgical techniques tailored specifically to individual need.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Oliver Hartwell Priest at Nuffield Health
- Laparoscopic groin hernia repair
- Open surgery groin hernia repair
- Gastroscopy (or gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy)
- Laparoscopic reflux surgery (fundoplication)
- Umbilical hernia repair
- Laparoscopic incisional hernia repair
- Bilateral (inguinal) hernia repair
- Hernia repair
Mr Priest developed and co-authored new national guidelines for the safe insertion of nasogastric tubes on behalf of the National Patient Safety Agency. He is currently recruiting patients into high-quality NIHR portfolio studies and is the local Principal Investigator for national clinical trials.
- Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain (AUGIS)
- Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ALSGBI)
- International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus (ISDE)
- European Association for Endoscopic Surgery (EAES)
Other posts held
- Consultant Upper Gastrointestinal & Laparoscopic Surgeon, University Hospitals North Midlands
Insurers Mr Oliver Hartwell Priest works with
Mr Oliver Hartwell Priest works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Benenden Health
- AXA PPP International
- Bupa On Demand
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Oliver Hartwell Priest does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Oliver Hartwell Priest does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Oliver Hartwell Priest does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.