Mr Ogho Obakponovwe is a consultant orthopaedic and trauma surgeon specialising in hip, knee, primary & complex joint replacements, including arthroscopic (keyhole) procedures, with an additional interest in sports injuries. He graduated from University of Leicester Medical School in 2005, after which, he underwent foundation training. In 2007, Ogho moved north to undertake Core Surgical Training, at the renowned Yorkshire School of Surgery at Leeds General Infirmary. There he had his first exposure to complex trauma & orthopaedic care and was mentored by Professor PV. Giannoudis. In 2010, he enrolled for a postgraduate degree in clinical research (University of Leeds) and was awarded a Doctor of Medicine (M.D) from the same institution in 2015. His Specialist training was at the Royal London Hospital orthopaedic rotation and he was added to the specialist register in 2019. Ogho undertook two (Hip & Knee) arthroplasty fellowships at Royal Bournemouth Hospital, one of the busiest centres for joint replacements in the U.K, under the mentorship of Professor Rob Middleton & Professor Adrian Harvey, with exposure to complex, revision and robotic joint replacements. In 2020, he was appointed as a consultant Orthopaedic and trauma surgeon at St Richards Hospital, Chichester. He specialises in hip, knee, sports and trauma surgery.
- Hip replacements
- Knee replacements
- Periprosthetic fractures of the hip & knee
- Knee arthroscopy
- Image-guided joint injections
- Manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA)
- Ligament reconstruction
- Upper and lower limb fracture fixation surgery
- Hip arthritis
- Knee arthritis
- Meniscus injury
- Joint injections
- Bone fractures
Mr Obakponovwe is a co-founder & chair of The Peter Claver Foundation, a healthcare charity committed to tackling health inequalities by promoting and supporting healthcare systems in developing countries, particularly in Delta state, Nigeria.
He also serves as a medical adviser and practitioner for England Boxing
Mr Obakponovwe is married with two sons. He is a keen sportsman and is very passionate about sports. He is a two-time London heavyweight amateur boxing champion and still retains close ties with grass root boxing clubs. He played football through medical school and now plays masters football for the British Medical Football team.
He is into keeping fit and is a keen short-distance runner. He also snowboards, scuba dives (advanced open water) and kite surfs.
He thoroughly enjoys travelling and has visited well over 45 countries and territories.
Mr Obakponovwe is an honorary fellow of the Orthopaedic Research Institute (O.R.I) at the University of Bournemouth. He was awarded a postgraduate degree in orthopaedic clinical research after conducting a clinical trial and writing a thesis on the management of periprosthetic and osteoporotic fractures of the knee. He is extensively published in a number of aspects of orthopaedic and trauma surgery. Ogho has also presented novel research concepts both nationally and internationally, including the prestigious AAOS (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons) congress. He continues to contribute and refine his clinical practice in-line with new techniques and research principles.
Publication titles include:
- Management of bone infections in adults: the surgeon's and microbiologist's perspective.
- Fixation of periprosthetic or osteoporotic distal femoral fractures with locking plates: a pilot randomised controlled trial.
- Quality of life and sexual function after traumatic pelvic fracture.
- Total hip arthroplasty after acetabular fracture: incidence of complications, reoperation rates and functional outcomes: evidence today.
- The impact of traumatic pelvic fractures on sporting activity and quality of life.
- British Orthopaedic Surgery
- British Hip Association
- Medical and Dental Defense Union of Scotland
Other posts held
- Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon, St Richards Hospital, Chichester, University Hospitals of Sussex NHS Foundation Trust.
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion regional lead in T&O surgery, Kent, Surrey and Sussex deanery.
Insurers Mr Ogho Obakponovwe works with
Mr Ogho Obakponovwe works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- AXA Health