Prof. Mohammed Muhtaseb (FRCOphth) is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon in the NHS based in South Wales, with special expertise in Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery. He holds full specialist registration with the General Medical Council.
Prof. Muhtaseb graduated with Distinction from St George’s Hospital Medical School, University of London in 1995 and completed his ophthalmology training in London. Having trained in various of London’s prestigious teaching hospitals, he went on to complete three separate sub-specialty training fellowships in each of Cornea Surgery, Refractive Surgery, and Medical Ophthalmology / Neuro-ophthalmology.
He moved to South Wales in 2006 to take up his Consultant position and has continuously strived to establish and develop new services for his patients since that time.
Prof. Muhtaseb maintains his enthusiasm for research and supervises trainee doctors undertaking research. He has published the results of his clinical research widely in the peer-reviewed literature and is a reviewer for many prestigious journals.
He has presented his work to international conference audiences in Europe, Asia and the USA. He has also been an invited speaker at international conferences, where he shares his experiences in the use of innovative technologies.
He is Visiting Professor at the University of South Wales and Distinguished Visiting Fellow at the School of Optometry and Vision Sciences, Cardiff University. He teaches post-graduate students on the MSc in Clinical Optometry at Cardiff University and is a provider of continuing education and training for optometrists outside of the MSc course.
- Micro-incision cataract surgery and refractive lens exchange
- Multifocal lens implants
- Toric lens implants
- Piggyback lens implants
- Keratoconus management including Intra Corneal Rings and Corneal Collagen Crosslinking
- Corneal transplant surgery
English and Arabic
Treatments and tests offered by Professor Mohammed Muhtaseb at Nuffield Health
- Cataract Surgery
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- UK & Ireland Society of cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
Other post held
- Consultant Ophthalmic and Cornea Surgeon at Royal Glamorgan Hospital
- Visiting Professor of Cornea,Cataract and Refractive surgery at the University of South Wales
- Consulting Ophthalmic and Cornea Surgeon at Nuffield Health Cardiff & Vale Hospitals
Professor Mohammed Muhtaseb does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Professor Mohammed Muhtaseb does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Professor Mohammed Muhtaseb does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.