Mr Wyatt is an NHS Consultant with a major interest in treating complex thoracic and abdominal aortic disease, using both open and stent graft technologies. Having qualified from Newcastle University, he trained in surgery in Bristol, Plymouth, Exeter and London. He presents and publishes widely on all aspects of vascular disease and is the President Elect of the Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland (President, 2015-6).
In the private sector his major workload involves the treatment of patients with arterial disease, hernias and varicose veins. The Newcastle Nuffield Health Hospital is able to offer the full range of both open and endovenous procedures for varicose vein patients, many of which can be performed as day cases. In addition he treats patients with excess sweating, thoracic outlet problems and general lumps and bumps.
His practice has full access to complex investigational procedures, including Doppler, duplex scanning, ultrasound, CT and MR, and he consults closely with his colleagues in differing specialties such as cardiology and interventional radiology.
Finally, Mr Wyatt examines for several national and international Medical Schools, teaches extensively, publishes widely and is involved in national medical politics. He supervises young doctors for MD projects and has an active interest in research and development.
- Final MB BS examiner in Surgery, Penang Medical College, 2007-date; RCS Ireland, 2006-date and Imperial College, London, 2000 - date
- Intercollegiate MRCS Court of Examiners, 2001-date
- Assessor for Intercollegiate MRCS Examiners, 2004-date
- External examiner for MSc in Surgical practice, University of Kent; 2006-2010
Chairman of Joint Vascular Research Group (UK and Ireland), 2006-2009
Assessor for Royal College of Surgeons of England Research Fellowships 2003-2013
- External examiner for MS, MD, PhD at 8 Universities
- Journal reviewer for 8 international titles
Clinical Editor of Surgery
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Michael Wyatt at Nuffield Health
- Ingrown toenail (and ingrown toenail surgery)
- Foam sclerotherapy for varicose veins
- Thread vein treatment (sclerotherapy)
- Aortic stent grafts
- AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm)
- Endovascular Aneurysm Repair (EVAR)
- Carotid surgery
- Skin surgery
- Endovascular treatment
- Interventional radiology
- Artery Assessment
- Carotid doppler
- Radiofrequency (RF) Ablation for Varicose Veins
- Carotid endarterectomy
- Arterial Surgery
My research is clinical and laboratory based, investigating myo-intimal hyperplasia, graft failure, aortic stenting and reperfusion injury following supra-renal clamping
- 5 MDs (100%) awarded, published and presented at inter/national meetings
- PI for IMPROVE trial (2010). Multicentre RCT looking at the immediate management of patient with ruptured AAA: Open versus Endovascular repair
- PI for TAMARIS trial (2010). Double-blind placebo controlled parallel group RCT of gene therapy in patients with critical limb ischaemia
- Collaborator for ACST II, ICSS, Lotus, Finish 3, CLASS and Grifols NIHR Portfolio Studies in conjunction with Clinical Trails Unit.
- Collaborator for BASIL 2 trial. Multicentre RCT of angioplasty/surgery for CLI
- Trials Management Committee for UK EVAR Trials until 2011 (NHS executive funded)
- Recent HQIP grant for £1.625M for development of National Vascular Registry 2012
- £500,000 in industry/pharmaceutical grants since 2004 - nurse salaries
- NIHR funding for 3 research nurses
- Research grant reviewer for BUPA, MRC, Heart Res UK, 2009-14.
- Author: 32 book chapters, 163 articles, 289 presentations.
- Editor of 5 textbooks
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Association of International Vascular Surgeons
- British Medical Association
- European Society for Vascular Surgery
- Moynihan Surgical Club. North of England Surgical Society
- Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- Society of Academic and Research Surgery.Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- North of England Surgical Society
Other post held
- Consultant General Surgeon, Freeman Hospital, Newcasatle upon Tyne
- Treasurer, British Journal of Surgery Society
- Vice Chair, Ethics Committee
- Chair, General/Vascular Surgical Training Committee
- Chairman, Society of International Vascular Surgeons.
Mr Michael Wyatt does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Michael Wyatt does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Michael Wyatt does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.