Matthew Solan graduated from St Thomas’ Hospital Medical School in 1992 and completed surgical training in London, Guildford, Oxford and Dublin. His specialist orthopaedic training was in the South Thames (West) Region. Mr Solan was awarded a British Orthopaedic Association Travelling Fellowship to Dublin and has also worked overseas in South Africa and at the Universities of Johns Hopkins and Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
In 2003, Mr Solan was appointed as a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Frimley Park Hospital. He was appointed to the Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, in 2006. His special interests are in arthroscopic surgery, forefoot surgery, rheumatoid arthritis and heel pain / achilles problems.
Mr Solan Specialises in the following treatments:
Matthew teaches nationally and internationally. He is proud to be part of the Barouk Forefoot Surgery Faculty in Bordeaux. Closer to home, he runs both the UK Forefoot Surgery Course and the Arthroscopy of the Ankle Course at the prestigious MATTU in Guildford’s Postgraduate Medical School.
As both Program Director for Surgical Training in the Kent, Surrey and Sussex Deanery and Research Director for the London Higher Surgical Training Program, Matthew devotes considerable energy to training the next generation of surgeons
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Matthew Solan at Nuffield Health
- Bunion surgery (bunionectomy)
- Fusion of big toe
- Forefoot reconstructive surgery
- Ankle ligament repair
- Flat foot correction
- Bone Graft
- Toe surgery
- Achilles repair or reconstruction
- Foot and ankle surgery
- Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation
- Ankle arthroscopy
- Cartilage reconstruction
- Ankle fusion
- Hallux Valgus Surgery
- Ankle replacement
Mr Solan has published extensively on foot and ankle surgery and maintains an active research interest. He has contributed to the Oxford Textbook of Orthopaedic Surgery and Bailey and Love’s Surgical Practice. He is a member of the editorial panel for the Journal of the European Foot and Ankle Society.
- Mr Solan has published 26 peer reviewed since 2010.
- International MultiCentre Cartiva Study
- Gait analysis after gastrocnemius release
- Measurement of force produced by Shockwave treatments
- 3-D Moelling of complex foot and ankle deormity
- Ieong E, Afolayan J, Carne A, Solan M, Ultrasound scanning for recalcitrant plantar fasciopathy. Basis of a new classification, Skeletal Radiol. 2012 Jul 22.
- Proximal medial gastrocnemius release in the treatment of recalcitrant plantar fasciitis. Abbassian A, Kohls-Gatzoulis J, Solan MC. Foot Ankle Int. 2012 Jan;33(1):14-9.
- Biomechanical analysis of endobutton versus screw fixation after Lisfranc ligament complex sectioning. Marsland D, Belkoff SM, Solan MC. Foot Ankle Surg. 2013 Dec;19(4):267-72
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons
- Chairman of Scientific Committee of British Foot and Ankle Surgery Society
- Program Director for Surgical Training, Kent, Surrey and Sussex Deanery
- Honorary Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, LSBU, London
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Surrey
Other posts held
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Royal Surrey County Hospital
Insurers Mr Matthew Solan works with
Mr Matthew Solan works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Matthew Solan does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Matthew Solan does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Matthew Solan does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.