John Harrison specialises in surgery of the hand and wrist, and upper limb. His main interests lie in the treatment of sports injuries, Dupuytren's contracture, peripheral nerve compression, small joint arthritis, scaphoid non-union surgery, and in ligament reconstructive surgery in the upper limb.
He treats professionals from football clubs, rugby union, British Superbikes and TeamGB Rowing. He covers general trauma when on-call.
He did his higher surgical training in Manchester, and his Fellowship at Wrightington Hospital in hand and wrist surgery, shoulder arthroscopy and elbow surgery.
He has an MSc in orthopaedic engineering from Cardiff University and is an elected Member of the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine.
He has published and presented work both nationally and internationally (Researchgate.net score 20.53 / 161 citations), and interests include local anaesthetic hand surgery and scaphoid non-union. Previous work has directly led to the development of replacement joints for the elbow and the wrist (distal radio-ulnar joint).
Mr Harrison is a medicolegal expert in personal injury and clinical negligence, and produces reports within 5 working days of seeing the client. He completes up to 100 reports per year.
All medical reports are indexed and fully researched. Terms of Engagement must be signed prior to appointment.
Shoulder – arthroscopic stabilisation / rotator cuff repair, joint replacement, ACJ stabilisation, Latarjet procedure.
Elbow - tennis elbow release, arthroscopy, joint replacement.
Wrist - excision ganglion, scaphoid non-union, vascularised bone grafting, ligament reconstruction, wrist arthroscopy, trauma.
Hand - carpal tunnel, trigger finger, Dupuytren’s disease, base of thumb arthritis, replacement small joints, trauma.
Treatments and tests offered by Mr John Harrison at Nuffield Health
- Hand surgery
- Shoulder Manipulation
- Tennis elbow release
- Shoulder replacement surgery
- Elbow surgery
- Dupuytren's fasciectomy
- Shoulder Stabilisation
- Bone Graft
- Cubital tunnel release
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Shoulder decompression - key hole surgery
- Shoulder surgery (rotator cuff repair)
- Does the orientation of the distal radioulnar joint influence the force in the joint and the tension in the interosseous membrane? JWK Harrison, I Siddique, ES Powell, H Shaaban, JK Stanley. Clin Biomech 2005; 20(1): 57-62
- Management of peri-trapezial arthritis. JWK Harrison, NRM Fahmy. Current Orthopaedics, June 2005
- Radial head fractures. JWK Harrison, A Chitre, JG Warner, SP Hodgson. Current Orthopaedics, February 2007
- Internal Fixation of proximal humeral fractures. JWK Harrison, DWJ Howcroft, SP Hodgson. Acta Orthopaedica Belgica 2007; 73: 1-11
- Accepted - Stanley jig for large ulnar shortenings. JWK Harrison, JK Stanley, MJ Hayton. J Hand Surg - Br, Nov 2007
- Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- British Orthopaedic Association
- Faculty Sports and Exercise Medicine (UK)
Other post held
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead
Insurers Mr John Harrison works with
Mr John Harrison works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
Mr John Harrison does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr John Harrison does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr John Harrison does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.