Mr Gunaratnam Shyamalan
FRCS, British Hand Diploma, BSc Orthopaedics Science
GMC number: 4634038
Practicing since: 1999
- Tuesday PM
- Other days and times available by prior arrangement
Or call us on
Mr Shyamalan is a dedicated Hand, Wrist and Nerve Surgeon working and training others at The Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, serving a population of over one million people. He is regarded to be one of the leading hand surgeons in the West Midlands.
His Hand and Plastic Surgery fellowship training was undertaken at three world class units:
- Ganga Hospital, India, with Raja Sabapathy
- Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, with Professor Tonkin
- The Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, with Kate Owers and Rupert Eckersley
He has worked and published research with David Warwick.
During this time, he developed expertise in complex nerve procedures, children’s hand problems, soft tissue hand trauma, including tendon, nerve and arterial repair, arthritis work, including joint replacement and wrist arthroscopy.
Mr Shyamalan’s aim is to offer an individualised, multi-disciplinary service in the management of hand and wrist conditions. He works with hand therapists and gives due consideration to both surgical and non-surgical options.
He grew up in County Durham, studying at Barnard Castle School. He developed a particular passion for rugby and went on to play for Durham County at School level. He broke his scaphoid bone at school and now is a regional expert in arthroscopically fixing this bone.
Hand and wrist including:
- Sporting injury - including fracture treatment of hand and wrist, including bone, tendon and ligament trauma
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (Open & Endoscopic) and Cubital tunnel decompression for ulna nerve
- Dupuytren’s release and minimally invasive surgery with Xiapex ‘collagenase’ and percutaneous needle fasciotomy
- Lumps and bumps and ganglions
- Trigger finger and thumb
- Wrist, finger and thumb arthritis, including small joint replacement
- Wrist arthroscopy (keyhole surgery) for TFCC tears and scaphoid fractures
- Trauma including fracture treatment of hand and wrist, including bone, tendon and ligament trauma.
- Elbow stiffness and arthritis
- Tennis and Golfer’s Elbow
- Elbow fracture
Treatments and tests offered by Mr Gunaratnam Shyamalan at Nuffield Health
- Carpal tunnel release
- Nerve surgery
- Hand surgery
- Trauma Surgery
- Dupuytren's fasciectomy
- Cubital tunnel release
- Tennis elbow release
Locations Mr Gunaratnam Shyamalan works with
Reviewer for the Journal of Hand (British and European) and a trainer of surgeons.
Published research in thumb arthritis, wrist fractures, wrist arthritis, wrist arthroscopy and conditions of the hand.
- Royal College of Surgeons
- British Medical Association
Other posts held
- Consultant Hand, Wrist & Nerve Surgeon at Solihull Hospital, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
Insurers Mr Gunaratnam Shyamalan works with
Mr Gunaratnam Shyamalan works with the following private medical insurance providers:
- Aviva Health
- AXA PPP Healthcare
- AXA PPP International
- Benenden Health
- Bupa On Demand
- CS Healthcare
- Exeter Family Friendly
- Freedom Health
- Medical Care Direct
- Tesco Bank
- Universal Provident
- Vitality Health (Pru Health)
- Westfield Health WPA
Mr Gunaratnam Shyamalan does not hold a share or financial interest in this hospital, another Nuffield Health hospital or the company.
Mr Gunaratnam Shyamalan does not have a share or financial interest in equipment used at this hospital or another Nuffield Health hospital.
Mr Gunaratnam Shyamalan does not hold any paid advisory role(s) at this hospital or on behalf of Nuffield Health.